Elevation of application by an unknown publisher for a standard user RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In our environment we rely upon UAC for maintaining security across our desktop infrastructure. I have an application from an unknown publisher I need to deploy however Windows 7 prompts all non admins for credentials when running the main executable because the publisher is unknown.

Is there any ways within Windows 7 to allow only this application to run without admin credentials, or other technologies from Microsoft than can assist here? We do also use AppSense in organisation so I could potentially implement this using Application Manager however I was just interested to see if Microsoft have any solutions for application management / self user elevation that i'm missing.

Thanks,

Doug

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 8:42 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Here is the situation:

User Account Control: Detect application installations and prompt for elevation

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd851376.aspx

Because in enterprise environment, we need use delegated installation technologies, such as Group Policy software installation or SCCM. In this case, installer detection is unnecessary

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, March 27, 2014 2:54 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry i think you've misunderstood. The application is already installed, the issue is around running the main applicaiton exectuable post install. The UAC prompt says the publisher is unknown. The application has been installed into the default program files directory, as per the app installer.

We already use SCCM in our environment for OSD, application deployment and machine management.

Thanks,

Doug

Thursday, March 27, 2014 7:16 PM
  • We have one of those applications too but lucky for us UAC is not required in our environmnet.
    Have you tried any of the compatibilty options in the properties of the shortcut to the application?
    "Run this program as an administrator"
    Friday, March 28, 2014 1:24 AM
  • Hi,

Regarding this kind of situation, we need use compatibility tool to check if we can get a fix on it:

An Application Cannot Run as a Standard User

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd919180(v=ws.10).aspx

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Karen Hu Monday, April 7, 2014 2:51 AM
    Friday, March 28, 2014 7:58 AM