HELP Vista Antivirus killed my laptop, how do I stop it? RRS feed

• Question

• My laptop was working well this morning.  I noticed it had windows updates available, so I ran them.

After restart, 'Vista Antispyware 2012' (presumably a new program installed with the updates) began to flood me with popup spam insisting I must buy this new program.

I use a 3rd party virus protection program, I do not want Vista Antispyware.  I am concerned as now:

1) I can not view webpages (Vista antispyware forces explorer into an endless loop of displaying an alert with 3 options: buy the program, run a scan (with the program), or continue (not recommended).  Clicking the continue (not recommended) option just reloads the same alert.

2) Any time I startup I am bombarded with advertisements from microsoft trying to force me to buy this Vista Antispyware 2012.

3) At startup the program automaticly starts a scan, I can't seem to disable it (in Windows Security center -> Firewall section, I have Vista Antispyware turned off, yet it still runs).

Summary:  A windows update has infested my computer with popups and spam from the 'Vista Antispyware 2012' program, how do I perminantly remove it and prevent these popups in the future?

Thanks

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 3:27 PM

Answers

• My laptop was working well this morning.  I noticed it had windows updates available, so I ran them.

After restart, 'Vista Antispyware 2012' (presumably a new program installed with the updates) began to flood me with popup spam insisting I must buy this new program.

I use a 3rd party virus protection program, I do not want Vista Antispyware.  I am concerned as now:

1) I can not view webpages (Vista antispyware forces explorer into an endless loop of displaying an alert with 3 options: buy the program, run a scan (with the program), or continue (not recommended).  Clicking the continue (not recommended) option just reloads the same alert.

2) Any time I startup I am bombarded with advertisements from microsoft trying to force me to buy this Vista Antispyware 2012.

3) At startup the program automaticly starts a scan, I can't seem to disable it (in Windows Security center -> Firewall section, I have Vista Antispyware turned off, yet it still runs).

Summary:  A windows update has infested my computer with popups and spam from the 'Vista Antispyware 2012' program, how do I perminantly remove it and prevent these popups in the future?

Thanks

You have got yourself a rogue program disguised as an legit anti-virus program.

Run the following programs, one at a time, to get rid of the bogus program

1. Malwarebytes ( it is free )
    http://en.kioskea.net/download/download-105-malwarebytes-anti-malware

2. STOPzilla ( free )
    http://www.stopzilla.com/products/stopzilla/home.do

3. TDSSKiller ( free )
    http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/TDSSKiller-Download-165428.html

If you have trouble downloading, the rogue program may block you from doing that, do the downloading in safe mode with networking.
    Worse comes to worst, go to a friend with a computer, download those programs into a flash drive or CD. Take it home and run them.

It is not redundant to run so many anti-virus programs. Better be safe than be sorry.

If it solves your problem, I did it. If it does not, my twin brother did it.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 9:18 PM

All replies

• Такая же проблема и у меня вчера скачались обновления, а сегодня вылетает везде окошко VISTA ANTIVIRUS 2012 КАК УДАЛИТЬ НЕЗНАЮ  ПОМОГИТЕ ПОЖАЛУЙСТА((((((

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 5:54 PM
  • English?
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 6:15 PM

Thanks

You have got yourself a rogue program disguised as an legit anti-virus program.

Run the following programs, one at a time, to get rid of the bogus program

1. Malwarebytes ( it is free )
    http://en.kioskea.net/download/download-105-malwarebytes-anti-malware

2. STOPzilla ( free )
    http://www.stopzilla.com/products/stopzilla/home.do

3. TDSSKiller ( free )
    http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/TDSSKiller-Download-165428.html

If you have trouble downloading, the rogue program may block you from doing that, do the downloading in safe mode with networking.
    Worse comes to worst, go to a friend with a computer, download those programs into a flash drive or CD. Take it home and run them.

It is not redundant to run so many anti-virus programs. Better be safe than be sorry.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 9:18 PM
  • Excellent, thank you! :)
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 9:48 PM
  • Excellent, thank you! :)

You are welcome.

If after running the programs and they've gotten rid of the rogue program, please come back and mark my reply as Answer.

That way, others with a similar problem will know there is a " fix " for that.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 9:56 PM
  • English?

He said he has the same problem and not know how to get rid of it.......

Translation from Russian....

The same problem and I have been saved updates yesterday, and today flies everywhere window VISTA ANTIVIRUS 2012 HOW DO I DELETE DON'T KNOW HELP PLEASE ((((((

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 9:59 PM
  • the programs solves problem with the Rogue program it remove the vista security 2012 thank you
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 12:06 AM