none
IE7 - How to Block Deletion of History and Temp Files - Win XP RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

As an IT professional, my organization wants to block the deletion of temporary internet files and history on a local level (Windows workstations). However, even though Group Policy can be set up to block this via user interface, users can still delete this data through their profiles (by going to their temporary internet files folder and history folder directly on their profile) and through Shell commands.

Thus, is there any method to prevent this? In addition, is there any way to monitor their web habits locally or through the proxy without third-party apps?

Thank you.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 7:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my experience, Windows XP cannot support this function natively.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, October 7, 2011 7:18 AM
  • Hi,

Based on my experience, Windows XP cannot support this function natively.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

So, there isn't a way to restrict deletion of history and/or temporary internet files with IE7 and Win XP (since Group Policy only restricts it through the Internet Options user interface)? Did it work with prior versions of IE, or does it work with IE7 and Vista/Win 7?

It just seems that using Group Policy to do this is a "trick" to users (who now know how to get around it) rather than actually restricting the functionality altogether.

Josh

Friday, October 7, 2011 3:15 PM