Win7 PE .net Framework integration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Forum,

I would like to integrate a test application into my WinPE Image builded with WAIK3.0. Unfurtunatly this application requires .net framework which is not present in default WinPE image?

Is there simple way to integrate it?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Andreas
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 1:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Andreas,

I would like to suggest you visiting the following link. It might be helpful.

Running .NET Framework in Windows PE

Best Regards

Dale Qiao
    TechNet Subscriber Support
    in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Thursday, March 18, 2010 1:45 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to  reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.
    BTW,  we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Best Regards

Dale Qiao
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 5:53 AM
  • Hello! I have got a similar issue, but in my case, ThinApp wouldn't do the trick, unless I'm missing something.

The problem is that thinapp sandboxes the system folders, so, if, like me, you want to do your own app to manage what's comming next in your WinPE Installation (or whatever you wanna do with it), and that your app has to launch, for example, a Windows 7 Installation, it will be installed in the sandbox, and that's probably not what you want (at least it's not what I want).

At present time, i'm using a 32 bits vb6 app to do so, so it does not require .net... It was ok until I needed to add 64 bits installations support. Do to so, I boot up on a 64 bits WinPE, but problem is that WOW64 is not included into PE. so no way to run 32 bits apps.

So what I need is one of the following:

1) A way to integrate .net into PE without virtualization so I can port my app to .net and compile it for x64
    2) A way to compile or convert VB6 generated .exe into 64 bits non-.net exe
    3) A way to integrate WOW64 into PE

I do not want to use the "BartPE" way, since I'm not sure hardware support will be as good and as easy to improve (by adding drivers) that WinPE is.

Anyway, is there a good reason about not having .net support in PE ?
    I mean, YES, it's ram-consuming, and YES, a PE is supposed to be light in ram... but has it really sense ?
    WinPE3.0 is based on Win7... Win7 requires lots of ram to be installed... so would the 30-50MB of additionnal ram needed by .net really be a problem? I don't think so... unless Win7 setup consumes 800MB of ram or so, which I don't think...

Not having it by default in the "starting PE image" would be fine, but a possibility to add it would me more than usefull !

In the other hand, preventing to use .net in deployment environnement for an OS that is these days is kinda non-sense when recent MS tools to develop apps don't support compiling "non-.net applications".

Any help would be appreciated.

Friday, June 25, 2010 8:38 AM
  • bump

Friday, July 23, 2010 6:42 PM
  • .Net/PowerShell in PE or an option to compile .Net apps so they can run without the framework.

Friday, July 23, 2010 6:44 PM
  • Have a check to http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/61a7b6e9-2190-4672-bac5-cb6a0bb52b7e?prof=required

I managed to have .net 2.0 and powershell in PE, and my .net app just run fine on PE now, thanks to this.

Hope you're not affraid with troubleshotting... Prepare to troubleshot when using winbuilder... You'd be quite lucky if this works at first attempt ;)

Thursday, July 29, 2010 6:27 AM