none
How to postpone CU upgrade, but still get the updates for 1607 ?

Question

• Within Windows 10 x64 Pro there is no 'Defer Upgrades' option (Settings->Update & Security->Advanced Options) but only 'Defer feature updates'. At least, that is with me. Tagging that option means that probably both the Creators Update  -and-  1607 update will not be applied.

Seems there is no way to keep on updating 1607, but postpone the CU ? 
    I prefer to wait a while before upgrading.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

=

Thursday, April 27, 2017 7:02 AM

Answers

• Hi Mike,

Windows 10 1607 and Windows 10 1703 update are the feature update.

With Windows 10, Microsoft will package new features into feature updates that can be deployed using existing management tools. Because feature updates are delivered more frequently than with previous Windows releases — two to three times per year rather than every 3–5 years — changes will be in bite-sized chunks rather than all at once and end user readiness time much shorter.

Thus the option that "Defer feature updates" is the same manning of previous "defer Upgrades".

The Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions let you defer upgrades to your PC. When you defer upgrades, new Windows features won’t be downloaded or installed for several months (not indefinitely). Deferring upgrades doesn’t affect security updates. Note that deferring upgrades will prevent you from getting the latest Windows features as soon as they’re available.

Enabling defer upgrades puts your Windows 10 PC on the Current branch for business. By putting devices on the Current branch for Business, enterprises will be able to receive feature updates after their quality and application compatibility has been assessed in the consumer market, while continuing to receive security updates on a regular basis.

In addition, please type winver in Run box to confirm your current version.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 28, 2017 2:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

Windows 10 1607 and Windows 10 1703 update are the feature update.

With Windows 10, Microsoft will package new features into feature updates that can be deployed using existing management tools. Because feature updates are delivered more frequently than with previous Windows releases — two to three times per year rather than every 3–5 years — changes will be in bite-sized chunks rather than all at once and end user readiness time much shorter.

Thus the option that "Defer feature updates" is the same manning of previous "defer Upgrades".

The Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions let you defer upgrades to your PC. When you defer upgrades, new Windows features won’t be downloaded or installed for several months (not indefinitely). Deferring upgrades doesn’t affect security updates. Note that deferring upgrades will prevent you from getting the latest Windows features as soon as they’re available.

Enabling defer upgrades puts your Windows 10 PC on the Current branch for business. By putting devices on the Current branch for Business, enterprises will be able to receive feature updates after their quality and application compatibility has been assessed in the consumer market, while continuing to receive security updates on a regular basis.

In addition, please type winver in Run box to confirm your current version.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 28, 2017 2:16 AM
  • Thank you Karen, all clear.

So, I guess this means:

- enabling/tagging 'Defer feature updates' - no 1703, but then again no 1607 updates either (even no security patches)
    whereas
    - disabling this option, all updates will be applied, including 1703

probably I am not the only one who prefer to wait a month or two before updating/upgrading to 1703, in which case components that are not 1703 related, like the aforementioned security updates, are also not being updated.
    (currently using single retail version, Pro x64 14393.1066)

=

Friday, April 28, 2017 4:53 AM
  • Not the way I read it. Deferring feature updates is equivalent to the old defer upgrades. In Microsoft speak, an upgrade is now a feature update. Other updates (such as security updates) would still be installed.

Why not set defer feature updates and see if you still get security updates nest Update Tuesday?

Bill

Friday, April 28, 2017 5:23 AM
  • Ah! Yes... I see.
    Really sorry for the confusion on my part. Still a bit early in the morning.
    Upon re-reading the post I see it. Karen clearly stated it.
    .. "Defer feature updates"  =  "defer Upgrades".

Ahum...
    Meanwhile enabled this option.

Many thanks for pointing out and, again, very sorry for the confusion.

=

Friday, April 28, 2017 6:15 AM