none
Cannot create maintenance plan in SQL 2008 SP1 on DPM 2010 install RRS feed

• Question

• What about the installation of SQL 2008 SP1 by DPM 2010 prevents maintenance plans from being created?  I install SQL 2008 in another system with the same SQL features, and maintenance plans work correctly.  However, with the DPM install I get the following error during maintenance plan creation:

The action you attempted to perform on a remote instance of SQL Server has failed because the action requires a SQL Server component that is not installed on the remote computer. To proceed, install Microsoft SQL Server Management Tools on the remote computer, and then try again. For more information, see "How to: Install Microsoft SQL Server (Setup)" in SQL Server 10 Books Online, or find the article on MSDN at  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=57083 . (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.MaintenancePlanWizard)

Thanks.

Monday, August 30, 2010 9:05 PM

Answers

• I fixed it by performing a repair on the SQL installation. I'm not certain what is going on here but that seems to fix the problem.
    • Marked as answer by simdoc Tuesday, August 31, 2010 6:21 PM
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 6:21 PM

All replies

• Did you install DPM on the same sever as your SQL server? Or do you meen that you cant make maintenence plans for the SQL that is included with DPM?
    Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 8:28 AM
  • I let the DPM installation install SQL on the same server using the SQL included on the DPM media.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 1:57 PM
  • I fixed it by performing a repair on the SQL installation. I'm not certain what is going on here but that seems to fix the problem.
    • Marked as answer by simdoc Tuesday, August 31, 2010 6:21 PM
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 6:21 PM
  • thanks. I had exactly the same problem
    Monday, April 16, 2012 8:48 AM
  • I had the same issue which i found out happened due to the sql service account not having proper permission. 
    • Proposed as answer by LearningStrong Tuesday, December 10, 2013 11:24 PM
    Tuesday, December 10, 2013 11:24 PM