Moving to new database server RRS feed

• Question

• I have a single server farm deployment, i.e. with full copy of SQL 2005 as the DB server (same box)

I want to move the databases to a new database server running 64bit SQL 2008, different name.

The technet doc 'Move All Databases' provides a procedure for this but seems to suggest that you can only move to an upgraded server (as in my case) if you build that new server with an identical host name.

It seems to imply that if moving to a new (new name) server then it must be the same version of SQL server?

Is this correct or just badly worded? If it is right then it will be a problem as I have a centralised dedicated SQL 2008 server 64 bit ready to go but can't use it?

Hopefully this is not the case....
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, December 21, 2009 11:05 AM not social computing - Admin (From:SharePoint - Social Computing)
    Monday, December 21, 2009 10:21 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Move all databases to a different database server http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc512725.aspx
    ·         This is a procedure for moving all the databases in a Office SharePoint Server 2007 farm to a new database server that has a different name. The new database server must use the same version of Windows Server and SQL Server as the old database server so this is not your case and you can't do this way

You have two initial options, doing a backup and restore within MOSS to move the data, or doing it at the SQL/STSADM level, which I prefer, as it isn't nearly as inclined to fail and leaves you with more flexibility.

I suppose that you have your new SQL 2008 installed and ready, If you are going to use the same MOSS Server, You need to run the configuration wizard, disconnect from the exiting farm.  Run it again and create a new farm on the new SQL 2008 Server

I would recommend that you install and configure a new MOSS server

To move your content DB:

1) Find the content Database, These are listed under Central Admin->Application Management->Site Collection List

2) Backup the content database, You could alternatively detach it, and copy it.  Just doing a backup in SQL Server 2005 Management studio is easier.

3) Restore content database to new server, Copy the BAK file to new server.  Create an empty DB in Management Studio, restore from backup, you may need to change an option in the "options" tab of the restore dialog to get it to work.  (Overwrite db). 

4) Create Web App on new Server, Central Admin->Application Management->Create or extend Web App->Create New Web App.

5) Associate restored DB with new Web App, Central Admin->Application Management-> SharePoint Web Application Management->Content Databases->

Remove Content Database from your new web app.

Now use STSADM to add restored DB to this web app

c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\web server extentions\12\bin on new server is where you can find the STSADM.

run this command from there.

stsadm -o addcontentdb -url http://yourwebapp:port -databasename yourcontentdb -databaseserver yoursqlserver

6) Run ISSRESET from command prompt.

Notes:

·         Make sure your running the same service pack level on both source and destination sharepoint if possible.

·         Make sure you install all webparts, solutions, features, etc on new server before you restore the content database, so that it can find all the features it's looking for.

·         Leave your old site and contentDB intact until you get the backup running on the new server, this way your ok if there is a problem.

·         DON'T try this with your config database! It won't work

Best Regards, Ammar MCT
    Monday, December 21, 2009 12:05 PM
  • the steps which I would follow for the migration is -

1> Take the backup of the content databases of the sharepoint application.
    2> Now disconnect the SQL server from the farm by running the PSConfig wizard.
    3> Restore the content dbs on to the SQL 2008 server.
    4> once restored, run the PSConfig wizard and provide the new SQL server.
    5> new config db will be created oand the Central admin should be up and running.
    6> make sure that your custom solutions are present besides you.
    7> Attach the respective content db to the new web application that you have created. before taking out the server of the server farm, make a note of the web applications and their respective content dbs. As you are moving the dbs to a new server, your URL will always remain the same.
    8> once attached, deploy your custom solutions.

One more thing to note is, you need to make sure that if you are moving your SQL to 64 bit, it would essential to move your sharepoint server to 64 bit too, as this may impact the performance in the long run.

hope this helps... 
    Monday, December 21, 2009 4:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Move all databases to a different database server http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc512725.aspx
    ·         This is a procedure for moving all the databases in a Office SharePoint Server 2007 farm to a new database server that has a different name. The new database server must use the same version of Windows Server and SQL Server as the old database server so this is not your case and you can't do this way

You have two initial options, doing a backup and restore within MOSS to move the data, or doing it at the SQL/STSADM level, which I prefer, as it isn't nearly as inclined to fail and leaves you with more flexibility.

I suppose that you have your new SQL 2008 installed and ready, If you are going to use the same MOSS Server, You need to run the configuration wizard, disconnect from the exiting farm.  Run it again and create a new farm on the new SQL 2008 Server

I would recommend that you install and configure a new MOSS server

To move your content DB:

1) Find the content Database, These are listed under Central Admin->Application Management->Site Collection List

2) Backup the content database, You could alternatively detach it, and copy it.  Just doing a backup in SQL Server 2005 Management studio is easier.

3) Restore content database to new server, Copy the BAK file to new server.  Create an empty DB in Management Studio, restore from backup, you may need to change an option in the "options" tab of the restore dialog to get it to work.  (Overwrite db). 

4) Create Web App on new Server, Central Admin->Application Management->Create or extend Web App->Create New Web App.

5) Associate restored DB with new Web App, Central Admin->Application Management-> SharePoint Web Application Management->Content Databases->

Remove Content Database from your new web app.

Now use STSADM to add restored DB to this web app

c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\web server extentions\12\bin on new server is where you can find the STSADM.

run this command from there.

stsadm -o addcontentdb -url http://yourwebapp:port -databasename yourcontentdb -databaseserver yoursqlserver

6) Run ISSRESET from command prompt.

Notes:

·         Make sure your running the same service pack level on both source and destination sharepoint if possible.

·         Make sure you install all webparts, solutions, features, etc on new server before you restore the content database, so that it can find all the features it's looking for.

·         Leave your old site and contentDB intact until you get the backup running on the new server, this way your ok if there is a problem.

·         DON'T try this with your config database! It won't work

Best Regards, Ammar MCT
    Monday, December 21, 2009 12:05 PM
  • the steps which I would follow for the migration is -

1> Take the backup of the content databases of the sharepoint application.
    2> Now disconnect the SQL server from the farm by running the PSConfig wizard.
    3> Restore the content dbs on to the SQL 2008 server.
    4> once restored, run the PSConfig wizard and provide the new SQL server.
    5> new config db will be created oand the Central admin should be up and running.
    6> make sure that your custom solutions are present besides you.
    7> Attach the respective content db to the new web application that you have created. before taking out the server of the server farm, make a note of the web applications and their respective content dbs. As you are moving the dbs to a new server, your URL will always remain the same.
    8> once attached, deploy your custom solutions.

One more thing to note is, you need to make sure that if you are moving your SQL to 64 bit, it would essential to move your sharepoint server to 64 bit too, as this may impact the performance in the long run.

hope this helps... 
    Monday, December 21, 2009 4:12 PM