Windows leaving ghost image when window is reduced/moved on one side of extended desktop. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working with a user, I'm remoted in, can see both of their monitors.  From my remote session, I can see none of this behavior, however, on one of the two monitors she uses for their extended desktop, they're getting ghost images whenever they move/reduce a window in only 1 of the 2 monitors.  This is a Win 7 x86 machine.  Updated graphics card drivers, and monitor drivers.  Different users get the same behavior.  Affected monitor has been changed, same issue.
    Tuesday, December 17, 2013 10:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Kindly elaborate ghost images.

Since you mentioned monitor has been changed and problem persists, screenshot should be able to capture the "ghost". Are you able to provide the screenshot?

Cheers,

Tas Chew

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 4:15 AM
  • What I mean by a ghost image is that User has say a IE window open (or any window), she minimizes that window, and a complete image of that window remains.  So a screenshot will just look like a normal screen.
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 11:48 PM
  • Hi,

To narrow down this issue, i recommend you remove the extended monitor and test if this problem still persists.

If it does, i suggest you rating this computer and estabilishing Windows experience index.

If it doesn't, it should be related with Refresh rate of the monitor. Therefore, please improve the refresh rate for the monitor. Or please test to change a new cable.

For more effective help, please feedback the computer information and windows experience index.

Let me know the result!

Andy Altmann
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, December 20, 2013 6:56 AM
  • Hi,

1. Does the local user experience this screen lag behaviour before your remote session?
    2. Does the behaviour still happen after you have disconnect from the remote session?
    3. Which remote session software are you using (e.g. VNC, Dameware, ... etc)
    4. Your graphic card model.

Cheers,

Tas Chew

• Edited by Tas76 Friday, December 20, 2013 7:51 AM Added point 4
    Friday, December 20, 2013 7:49 AM
  • It only happens on the extended monitor, if extended monitor is turned off, the issue is not present.  The 60 Hz is the only available option for the refresh rate.
    Saturday, December 21, 2013 12:13 AM
  • Yes, the ghost images are the reason why she called in, they do not go away once I've exited the session.

I'm using VNC.

She is using the onboard graphics card that comes onboard the Dell 0J3C2F motherboard

Saturday, December 21, 2013 12:16 AM
  • Hi,

You can try to lower the colour level at the VNC Viewer Options -> Colour & Encoding -> Low (64 colours).

See if that helps, else try another remote software.

Cheers,

Tas Chew

Monday, December 23, 2013 2:45 AM
  • I think you misunderstand, the user is experiencing this regardless if there is a remote session or not.
    • Proposed as answer by Sirrell Friday, April 3, 2020 11:20 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Sirrell Friday, April 3, 2020 11:21 AM
    Monday, December 23, 2013 10:36 PM
  • I would suggest its likely hardware related.

Its the onboard graphics, one (VGA or what ever type) connector is not working due to graphics hardware. Replace the mother board / graphics CPU chipset. (depends on whether its motherboard Graphics or Intel CPU driven)

Friday, April 3, 2020 11:26 AM