none
DPM 2010 Protection Groups go inconsistent constantly when large files change daily RRS feed

• Question

• Here is the situation.  The DBAs use LightSpeed to backup their databases to compressed file on a file server daily.  The total size of the data written to the disks per day is 3 TB.  The SLA that is agreed to by them is 3 days of backup files on disk, 7 days in DPM Short-term Storage, 11 monthly, and 10 yearly protection points in Long-term Storage.  They run a script to check the archive bit of the files to know which files to purge.  I have DPM setting the archive bit, no problem.  The problem is these files are large and are written daily.  In setting up the file server, I created 15 800 GB partitions and had the DBAs arrange the location of these file so they would fit on these partitions.  I set DPM to protect each volume during a time frame when data will not be written to them.  These Protection groups constantly go to an inconsistent state.  I know Microsoft would prefer SQL be protected directly to DPM instead of this method, but the DBA's are insistent (because of the table level restore capabilities that DPM lacks... "Hint, Hint Microsoft DPM Devs".  I can think of other scenarios were large files would change daily, tho.  I have tried to arrange the scheduled protection so there are not too many of these happening at the same time. Suggestions...

Setup:

DPM2010 latest SP

Network:

10GB FCoE NIC for LAN Traffic

2 Teamed 10GB FCoE NICs for iSCSI traffic.

Saturday, August 11, 2012 10:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

<snip>
    These Protection groups constantly go to an inconsistent state.
    >snip<

Please supply the details for the failed synchronoization jobs under monitoring / jobs tab.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, August 12, 2012 5:08 PM
  • I found The issue.  I was over the 80TB/40TB limit
    • Marked as answer by Mr._Smith Friday, August 24, 2012 9:10 PM
    Friday, August 24, 2012 9:10 PM