none
Migrate to new Storage on MBS RRS feed

• Question

• We are currently running System Center Data Protection Manager 1801 on Server 2016 Standard using Modern Backup Storage.  Storage is setup using LUNs presented from our old Fibre Channel Storage array that are mounted to a mount point on the DPM server creating the usable Volume within DPM.  We just setup a new Fibre Channel Storage array that I need to migrate all my data sources to.  I know that I can click on each data source and select "Move disk storage" and select the new volume I want to migrate the data source to.  I tried that and it works fine but will take me forever to do with the hundreds of data sources I need move.  Is there a way that I can migrate all the data sources from volume to another volume without having to do each one manually?
    Friday, August 3, 2018 3:20 PM

Answers

• This is the script I used and I modified it for each Protection Group I migrated.  

=================================================

Write-Output ""
    Write-Output "Preparing to Migrate DPM Datasources"
    Write-Output ""

#Get a list of DPM protection groups and sorted acending by name
    $pg = Get-DPMProtectionGroup | Sort-Object -Property name
    #Get the desired protection group and make it modifiable (in edit mode)
    $mpg = Get-DPMModifiableProtectionGroup $pg[5]
    Write-Output $pg[5]
    #Get the datasources that are in the protection group and sorted ascending by name
    $ds = Get-DPMDatasource $mpg | Sort-Object -Property name
    #Select Volume 7 to migrate data sources to
    $vols = Get-DPMDiskStorage -Volumes | Sort-Object -Property name | Select-Object -skip 7 | Select-Object -first 1
    Write-Output $vols
    Write-host " "
    [void](Read-Host 'Press Enter to continue… and start the migration')
    Write-host " "
    $ds | foreach {set-dpmdatasourcediskallocation -protectiongroup $mpg -datasource $_ -targetstorage $Vols[0] -migratedatasourcedatafromdpm -verbose}
    set-protectiongroup $mpg -verbose
    • Marked as answer by WSUAL2 Thursday, September 27, 2018 4:09 PM
    Thursday, September 27, 2018 4:09 PM

All replies

• Hi!

You could try using the DPM Shell to move multiple data sources, though it could take ages if it's a lot of data.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/dpm/2017/10/24/storage-migration-with-dpm-2016-mbs/

There's also a similar thread here, you could try as one did in the thread to loop through the data sources.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Wednesday, August 8, 2018 12:15 PM
  • Thanks for the link.  I am working on a script to migrate one data source at a time so that I do not have to sit and wait and click on each one in the UI manually.
    Monday, August 13, 2018 1:37 PM
  • This is the script I used and I modified it for each Protection Group I migrated.  

=================================================

Write-Output ""
    Write-Output "Preparing to Migrate DPM Datasources"
    Write-Output ""

#Get a list of DPM protection groups and sorted acending by name
    $pg = Get-DPMProtectionGroup | Sort-Object -Property name
    #Get the desired protection group and make it modifiable (in edit mode)
    $mpg = Get-DPMModifiableProtectionGroup $pg[5]
    Write-Output $pg[5]
    #Get the datasources that are in the protection group and sorted ascending by name
    $ds = Get-DPMDatasource $mpg | Sort-Object -Property name
    #Select Volume 7 to migrate data sources to
    $vols = Get-DPMDiskStorage -Volumes | Sort-Object -Property name | Select-Object -skip 7 | Select-Object -first 1
    Write-Output $vols
    Write-host " "
    [void](Read-Host 'Press Enter to continue… and start the migration')
    Write-host " "
    $ds | foreach {set-dpmdatasourcediskallocation -protectiongroup $mpg -datasource $_ -targetstorage $Vols[0] -migratedatasourcedatafromdpm -verbose}
    set-protectiongroup $mpg -verbose
    • Marked as answer by WSUAL2 Thursday, September 27, 2018 4:09 PM
    Thursday, September 27, 2018 4:09 PM