none
MS Project 2013 - Cumulative calendar days for a group of selected tasks RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone!

I'm starting to use the Project Professional 2013, I found it very useful. Right now, I'm trying to find out, how Project shows the cumulative calendar days for a group of selected tasks, say in other words: I'm selecting i.e. 15 consecutive tasks, all I want to know is how many actual days will happen til the last of the tasks I selected. 

For this example, several of those 15 tasks are consecutive (FF), but some others are parallel (SS) so, the total cumulative days is the sum of the actual program days. How can I do this?

THANKS in advance!

Monday, May 23, 2016 2:20 PM

Answers

• Eduardo,

Well, that's what I gave you, a straight way to calculate this. What part of the process I outlined doesn't do what you want?

If you want to use a calendar that includes all 7 days of the week, then you need to create a 7-day week calendar and make that the Project calendar. In that case you won't need any formula because the summary or group summary (using the Flag field) will give you the calendar days directly. Here is your example set up to show that.

John

Monday, May 23, 2016 8:03 PM

All replies

• Eduardo,

Are you sure you mean calendar days and not working days?

If you really mean working days, then putting those 15 tasks under their own summary line with automatically give the duration for the whole group.

If however, you do want calendar days and you do not want to isolate those tasks under a separate summary line then this is the process I suggest. You can use Project's grouping function to separate the desired tasks. You can identify the desired tasks with a Flag field (e.g. Flag1). For calendar days you will also need to create a custom field with a formula. The following two screen shots show how to set this up.

Set of tasks identified with a flag field and a custom field. Note, the option to use the formula for group summary rows is checked.

Now apply the grouping

Hope this helps.

John

Monday, May 23, 2016 2:56 PM
  • Insert a spare number field (Number1) into your entry table.

Right click on the heading of the column for that number field, then custom fields from the menu.

Rename the field "Day Counter".

Click on formula button.

Put a [Duration] into the formula, then OK.

Under calculation for group and summary rows, drop down the list and choose Sum.

If the tasks are not under one summary you must group on a field which is common to the tasks.

Maybe there is nothing common to group on, so use a spare flag field to tag the ones you want with yes, then make a custom group, and group on the flag.

Any help?

Monday, May 23, 2016 3:22 PM
  • John. Thanks for your answer.  These are Calendar Days / Natural Days. That's not what I'm talking about actually.

I. E. Task 1 - Jun 01 - Jun 04    4 Days          

Task 2 -                             3 Days 1FS    

Task 3 -                             2 Days 1SS

So, the actual total days for completion of the given tasks is 4 + 3 = 7, task 3 does not count because is synchronous with T1 and ends prior to T2 termination.

For this example is easy to tell, because you go enter the calendar and do a count, but for 15+ items is error prone do it by hand. This is a simply concurrent task I do during my presentations while discussing with the stakeholders in the go.

All I want is to have a straight way to calculate this... 

Monday, May 23, 2016 7:30 PM
  • Thanks Trevor. 

TBH, I was thinking this is the kind of data we may want at the hand in any moment while studying our projects, I thought I would select the tasks I'm interested on and, in the status bar below, something like "Total Days: 15" magically would show up.

Monday, May 23, 2016 7:34 PM
  • Eduardo,

Well, that's what I gave you, a straight way to calculate this. What part of the process I outlined doesn't do what you want?

If you want to use a calendar that includes all 7 days of the week, then you need to create a 7-day week calendar and make that the Project calendar. In that case you won't need any formula because the summary or group summary (using the Flag field) will give you the calendar days directly. Here is your example set up to show that.

John

Monday, May 23, 2016 8:03 PM
  • You would need a vba macro to do that and run it from a button on the Ribbon.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Monday, May 23, 2016 8:39 PM
  • John,  

Understand. All I needed is group the tasks. I was expecting not to need to group and see that "7" straightaway without need to do anything else but select the tasks. In any presentation somebody asks, "how many calendar days will take from Task A to Task C?" then you go and select the Tasks and say: "oh, yeah, 7 days" because Project just pop-up the number out the shelf just by selecting the tasks without modify the view by grouping data.

Thanks for all your help!

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 2:15 PM
  • Eduardo,

If you were looking for a built-in feature that gives that type of information then unfortunately you won't find it.

Again, if you have a 7-day week calendar and all the selected tasks happen to be under a summary, then the Duration field will give you the information directly. But it the selected tasks are not all under a single summary, then you will need to use the process I outlined. If you have a 7-day calendar you will NOT need a custom field with a formula but you will need a Flag field to identify the tasks for grouping.

Or, it could also be done with VBA as Rod suggested but VBA isn't necessary.

John

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 2:53 PM
  • John, thank you very much for your guidance.

I think the best approach is just summarize things up as you already mentioned.

I will mark this subject Solved.

Thanks again, Eduardo.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 3:44 PM
  • Eduardo,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 4:59 PM