Gateway DX4840 is Experiencing Screen Freezing and Crashing RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Windows 7. This problem started about three weeks ago. Occasionally the screen freezes and nothing will unfreeze it except a cold boot. Control-Alt-Delete does nothing.   Sometimes the screen goes black. At other times the screen shows an odd multicolour pattern.  Occasionally the computer crashes altogether.

I can not seem to find any hardware problem. Sometimes the computer will run for several days with no difficulty. There is no sign of a virus. I have checked my C drive for problems and found nothing.

I normally run Chrome and sometimes Chrome and Explorer at the same time.  Has anybody experienced this problem.

Thanks very much.

Thursday, March 28, 2013 11:04 PM

Answers

• I'd be checking my video card & memory. Can you upload the dmp files so we can take a look at them? I'd also look at the power supply and see if it's getting hot.
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Monday, April 8, 2013 7:33 AM
    Friday, March 29, 2013 7:36 PM
  • Hi,

Firstly, please check the issue with the method below:

Windows hangs or freezes

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2681286

Meanwhile, I think you need also to check the hardware side; please ensure all the drivers are up-to-date and you can also contact Gateway support for help.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 1, 2013 8:39 AM

All replies

• I'd be checking my video card & memory. Can you upload the dmp files so we can take a look at them? I'd also look at the power supply and see if it's getting hot.
    Friday, March 29, 2013 7:36 PM
  • Hi,

Firstly, please check the issue with the method below:

Windows hangs or freezes

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2681286

Meanwhile, I think you need also to check the hardware side; please ensure all the drivers are up-to-date and you can also contact Gateway support for help.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 1, 2013 8:39 AM
  • I have the same issues with DX4840-11c model. Computer frezzes, blue screen randomly and nothing works. I re-installed everything twicer and the problem re-occured. very frustrating.
    Sunday, June 22, 2014 12:18 PM