none
scheduled task run by another user

Question

• Previously I had a group policy with a scheduletask which is run by another user

but after that we have a security update is no longer possible , or is it?

I want to run an executable file with the scheduled task

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 12:12 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

>but after that we have a security update is no longer possible , or is it?

You mean the scheduled task doesn't work any more after a security update? Please elaborate a bit on your question, so it will be easy for us to help on this.

>I want to run an executable file with the scheduled task

Maybe create a batch file to launch that executable file, then add the .bat file in the "Run" field of scheduled task in GPMC.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, October 15, 2015 4:03 AM
  • after this update from microsoft https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2962486

it is no longer possible to create a scheduled task running as another user,

so how do i run a exe file as another user on my clients.

Thursday, October 15, 2015 6:47 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the clarification.

For security concerns, Microsoft has removed the ability to create or modify any Group Policy which contains a Group Policy Preference that specifies account credentials. (That's why you see the "Do not store password..." option is checked and disable.)

For more information, please refer to: http://blogs.technet.com/b/srd/archive/2014/05/13/ms14-025-an-update-for-group-policy-preferences.aspx

As mentioned in the KB article, we can now only use specific user accounts when the given user is logged on, meaning if you want to run a .exe file as a specific user, make sure the specific user is logged on.

Hope this helps and thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, October 15, 2015 7:23 AM
  • Hi Ethan

So if the user that are logged on don't have permissions to run the exe file, it is not possible ?

Thursday, October 15, 2015 7:44 AM
  • > Previously I had a group policy with a scheduletask which is run by
    > another user

Create the task with the "schtasks" command (in a startup script?) - and
    be aware that this command requires the users' password in cleartext... =8O

Greetings/Grüße, Martin

Mal ein gutes Buch über GPOs lesen?
    Good or bad GPOs? - my blog…
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment (-:
    Thursday, October 15, 2015 8:05 AM
  • Hi Ethan

So if the user that are logged on don't have permissions to run the exe file, it is not possible ?

That's ture. If you don't specify which account you want the task to run as, it will run in the security context of the SYSTEM account (if the preference item is part of Computer Configuration), or in the security context of the logged-on user, if it's part of User Configuration.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Friday, October 16, 2015 10:12 AM