CD Key (Product Key) Activation RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi all,

I am having a HUGE problem. Let me try to fill you in. Keep in mind, everything I say here is not pirated in any way.

My father used to work for Dell and got deals on Windows Vista and XP CD's/DVD's for installation. I dont know how he got them, but just last year around Thanksgiving, he managed to download a Vista image which was burned to a DVD for my use. I believe it had something to do with the TechNet stuff because that's how I got my copy of Windows XP SP 2.He also gave me a valid CD key with it as well. I took it back with me to my home (currently in the military and was on leave at the time) and did nothing with it because my Windows XP copy was still working just fine and didnt need to upgrade at that time.

Now, I installed Windows XP Serivce Pack 3 onto my computer and that just destroyed my hard drive. I managed to get what files I needed from that and thought that I should install Vista on it now. I went through the installation with no problems until I needed to activate my copy. The CD Key that my father gave to me shown Vista Home Premium edition and I thought the Vista DVD I had was just that. So I went to plug in the info for activation, and it tells me that its the wrong key for this product. I didnt think about checking which version I installed until I got this error. That was my mistake. Apparently my father gave me Windows Vista Ultimate instead of Windows Vista Home.

My question is this, I now have a valid Vista Home cd key and no Vista Ultimate cd key. Is there a way I can do a 1 for 1 swap or am I out of luck? Please let me know when you can. Thanks.

Revanant

Friday, September 26, 2008 12:27 PM

Answers

• Sorry, but your father should know better than to share his apparent TechNet subscription as this violates the terms of the TechNet subscriber agreement.  Only thing you can do now is to purchase a conventional "Full Retail Version" edition of Windows Vista Ultimate and insert your purchased Vista Ultimate product key. 

http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/details.aspx?view=info&itemid=6008003

Sunday, September 28, 2008 9:04 PM

All replies

• Sorry, but your father should know better than to share his apparent TechNet subscription as this violates the terms of the TechNet subscriber agreement.  Only thing you can do now is to purchase a conventional "Full Retail Version" edition of Windows Vista Ultimate and insert your purchased Vista Ultimate product key. 

http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/details.aspx?view=info&itemid=6008003

Sunday, September 28, 2008 9:04 PM
  • I had a HUGE hunch that it would have came down to that. Bummer...thats a lot of money to waste. I guess I will just buy what I wanted in the first place and that was the Vista Home Edition. Thanks for the response. It helps a lot.

Monday, September 29, 2008 12:20 PM
  • i want the vista ultimate activition key

Friday, October 17, 2008 6:01 PM
  • Did you buy it (Vista Ultimate?)
    If you did, it's on the package.
    If it came preinstalled on your computer, it's on the label that the manufacturer/system builder (should have) attached to the machine.
    If you lost the package, see mr moon's response in this thread.
    If your system builder did not attach the product-key label, contact your builder.  If they won't help, contact MS (see above link.)
    If you downloaded it (torrent, etc.), you'll need to actually pony up the money for it.  Sorry.

HTH,

Sunday, October 19, 2008 6:55 AM
  •  cuppie wrote:

Did you buy it (Vista Ultimate?)

No, I got it for free from my father. How he got it, I dont know. I cannot get ahold of him for any reason. If I could get in touch with him, all of this would be averted and I wouldnt have posted here.

cuppie wrote:

If you did, it's on the package.

N/A since I answered no to the last question.

cuppie wrote:

If it came preinstalled on your computer, it's on the label that the manufacturer/system builder (should have) attached to the machine.

See my first post. It explains that I didnt buy it nor have it preinstalled on my computer. I had XP on it prior to Vista.

cuppie wrote:

If you lost the package, see mr moon's response in this thread.

Seeing that my question was answered earlier, I dont need to bother calling the number. They would probably give me the same answer that I got on this forum.

cuppie wrote:

If your system builder did not attach the product-key label, contact your builder.  If they won't help, contact MS (see above link.)

I built my own computer, so this doesnt help.

cuppie wrote:

If you downloaded it (torrent, etc.), you'll need to actually pony up the money for it.  Sorry.

I NEVER download anything like this for any reason. Its just how I am. Its not right, and 99% of the time its viruses or spyware. So, it's not worth the trouble. Plus, I like buying something brand new as to something old/used so that way if there is something wrong, I can blame myself for the problem and not someone else.

In all, and I dont mean to flame, your post was entirely pointless. My question was answered earlier, and it seems like you didnt even read the posts prior to your post. To sum up what happened before you decied to join this post, I have an Ultimate edition for Vista, but no CD key for it. I have a Home edition for Vista CD key, but no actual installation CD. I was told that I was out of luck cause they dont swap CD key for CD key, and I will have to fork out the money for the Home or Ultimate edition. Plain and simple.

However, I was told that Ultimate has a installation portion that can allow me to choose which version I want to install from Ultimate, either Home, Buisness, or both. I dont remember anything like that, so I will reinstall the program to see if its true. If it is, then I dont have to worry about it. If not, then I am out of luck. So no worries.

Moderator, please lock this thread. Thanks for the help.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 12:52 PM
  •  Revanant wrote:
    .... rant rant rant .... Your post was entirely pointless.  ... rant ...

Beg pardon, but, it wasn't - apparently, you didn't read ankit sasa's post:
     ankit sasa wrote:
    i want the vista ultimate activition key

I'm not trying to flame; however, you might want to double-check things before you post.
    And, my bad for not making use of a quote (or, starting with "@ ankit sasa:" in my last post.)

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 3:47 PM