Install freezes after entering Product key RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to install Vista  Home Premium oem upgrade.

After I enter the product key there is no further activity with the upgrade. The mouse remians with the hour glass. No progress is shown on the bottom of the screen. The hard drive shows no activity.

I tried this several times and waited as long as an hour. I ran the compatibility advisor and everything passed. I am presently  running on a full version of Windows XP with Media Center 2005 with an Athlon 64 3000 cpu and over 700 meg of memory.

Friday, March 16, 2007 1:05 AM

All replies

• I can't help you as I have exactly the same problem with a Dell Dimension DXC051...

I've been trying to install Vista Business for days now and have run out of ideas. I get to the Product key page right at the start and then it freezes - some disk activity initially but it stops after a short while. If I don't enter the key it goes to the next page and then freezes there after selecting the Edition I have. Have to use Task Manager to stop it. Have left it for hours but nothing happens - it is still running though as Task Manager shows around 24% (varying) CPU usage from setup.exe but the window is frozen with the progress bar also frozen. If I enter an invalid key it tells me straight away so the initial validation is internal and not a remote look up.

The DVD is okay as I later used it to install on another Dell Laptop (Inspiron 9100) with absolutely no problems whatseover and also it kicks off okay on a Dimension 530. Been back since to the first machine and still the same problem.

I've also tried upgrading under Safe Mode, with and without Network support and both fail the same.

I've tried downloading the update at the beginning of setp and also not downloading it. Someone told me that there is a fix in the update for this but, if so, it doesn't work for me. Dell don't offer any help on their site.

If I go for a Clean install it then will get past that stage - but I want to keep a lot of stuff on the machine.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Tony
    UK
    Sunday, April 8, 2007 7:53 AM