none
install/attach agent wizard - AD attributes queried RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. I would like to know what attributes of a computer object in Active Directory are queried when using the Add computer wizard to install/attach agent on a computer?

As mentioned by Chandraneel in this thread - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmsetup/thread/7031899e-941c-476a-80b7-1dec51ad6ba3, those should be the following:

• OperatingSystem
    • OperatingSystemMajorVersion
    • OperatingSystemMinorVersion
    • OperatingSystemBuildNumber
    • OperatingSystemServicePack
    As I've discovered, only OperatingSystem attribute actually exists and is set to a value (at least in our domain on all computer objects), OperatingSystemServicePack exists in the AD schema, but is not set (at least in our domain on all computer objects) and the remaining attributes don't exist (neither in the AD schema, nor are they those so called constructed attributes).
    List of AD schema attributes can be found on the following website - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms675090(VS.85).aspx

Can anyony clarify this?

Thursday, October 7, 2010 11:00 AM

Answers

• It looks like we had a couple of crossed wires on this. The list of "attributes" you were given appear to be attributes that DPM derives about domain computers it protects. These are not necessarily AD attributes as much as attributes we populate in various tables in the DPMDB.

From what I can find we look for the following AD attributes when trying to protect a server.

• distinguishedName
    • dNSHostName
    • operatingSystem
    • operatingSystemServicePack
    • operatingSystemVersion

The service pack attribute may or may not be populated depending on the OS. The others usually are. The first three in the list above should always be popluated.

/Steve

Steve L [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by MarkosP Thursday, October 7, 2010 6:54 PM
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 5:43 PM

All replies

• Let me check into this for you.

/Steve

Steve L [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 12:00 PM
  • It looks like we had a couple of crossed wires on this. The list of "attributes" you were given appear to be attributes that DPM derives about domain computers it protects. These are not necessarily AD attributes as much as attributes we populate in various tables in the DPMDB.

From what I can find we look for the following AD attributes when trying to protect a server.

• distinguishedName
    • dNSHostName
    • operatingSystem
    • operatingSystemServicePack
    • operatingSystemVersion

The service pack attribute may or may not be populated depending on the OS. The others usually are. The first three in the list above should always be popluated.

/Steve

• Marked as answer by MarkosP Thursday, October 7, 2010 6:54 PM
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 5:43 PM
  • Thank you Steve, I appreciate the effort.
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 6:54 PM