none
Department custom field not displayed in PDP RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi everyone,

We're using Project Server 2010 (Dec. 2011 CU) to manage projects of different departments, therefore we're also taking advantage of the department functionality of the product. I've just come across something in that regard that is either a bug or a misunderstanding of the functionality on my part. I'm hoping someone will be able to comment and shed some light on that.

The Department lookup table contains 3 entries, Department 1 - 3. I now have created a custom field Background (project, multiple lines of text) that is assigned to Department 1. I have inserted this custom field into a new blank PDP called Project Overview using the Project Fields webpart. Finally, I have created a new EPT (no workflows) that uses my PDP. Nothing out of the ordinary up to this point...

My account is an Administrator on the system and is assigned to Department 1. When clicking the New button in Project Center, my EPT shows up as expected. I create a new project and fill in the name on the Project Information PDP which I use as New Project Page PDP. Now, when switching to my PDP, I can see the Project Fields webpart, but no fields are displayed (see 2nd screenshot below). Occassionally when switching between PDP's I can see the screen flickering for a milli-second and displaying the fields only to see them disappear again... :(

The same thing is happening for my other PDP's and custom fields that also have a department assigned. Note that after I remove the department from a field (actually had to delete and recreate it) and insert it again into the PDP, the field is displayed without any problems.

Is there something I'm doing wrong or missing? Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this!

Cheers

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 11:29 AM

All replies

• Hi There-

you might face this issue as you are asigned to aspecific department as an admin role how ever, you are trying to implement a project level CF on all the departments.

you can just remove your department from your user (as you toold, you are assigned to Dept #1) and try all the things you are trying.

\It should work normally with what you are expectine.

Lets try it and let us know if it works!!

Dev EPM Consultant

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:28 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I'm not 100% sure I understood everything correctly, but I already tried unassigning the department from my resource/user. In the meantime, I also ran the same tests for other users that have Project Manager or Portfolio Manager permissions - same result: they can't see the custom fields, regardless of the department they're assigned to. So I'm guessing it's not related to the permissions of a user in PWA.

Cheers

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:39 AM
  • Hello.

Sorry for the late reply.  I came across your post researching something else.  You need to fill in the Project Departments field for each project.  Add it to your main 'New Project' page if you have required department custom fields or add to another page if not.  Simply associating the project to a departmentalized EPT will not departmentalize the actual project, which has never made any sense to me.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Christine

Christine Flora

MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCBMSP, CAPM

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 3:10 PM
  •  christine is correct. In this case the field visibility is not related to which department the user is in. It is related to the Project Department. On your new project PDP add Proejct Departments field, put in Department 1 for this new project and then once you save and go to the other PDP you will see your field.

Brian Kennemer - Project MVP
    DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 3:42 PM
  • I have been scratching my head on this too.  I agree based on experience that the User's Department is irrelevant in regards to Custom Field editability within a PDP.  Only the Project's Department affects whether a CF is visible/invisible when the CF has a Department selected.  This is contrary to PS 2010 documentation here, which caused the original confusion: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg709726(v=office.14).aspx 

"You can select a department to be associated with a custom field. Selecting a department allows you to limit a user’s ability to see the custom field if that person is not a member of that department. If you do not specify a department, then all users are able to see the custom field."

This still does not answer an increasingly requested function "How do I prevent a CF on a PDP from being edited (or visible) based on a User's Department (or Security Group)?"

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:44 PM