Protecting NTFS against unexpected shutdowns RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. I work for a company that has more than 300 retail stores through my country. Those stores have a local Windows 2008 server running SQL Server 2008 for some local processing. All servers are Dell R220 and R210 II.

Problem is that some of those places have unreliable power supply. Even with UPS sometimes servers turn off and file system is corrupted. Last week we had a case of an unexpected shutdown which corrupted the registry files. Its rare but it happens and when it happens the store can't function properly.

We've solved this problem on the Linux PoS by using the "data=journal" parameter for the file system. This parameter makes the file system to commit all data and metadata into the journal before writing into the main file system. I'm not a file system engineer but we've tested and the PoS file systems seems pretty much immune to corruption caused by unexpected shutdown. It makes the system a bit slow but we don't care.

Is there something like that for NTFS? I've searched about it and read some documentation online but it seems to be no way to tune NTFS to become more resistant against corruption.

Many thanks.

• Edited by ulzeraj Tuesday, August 26, 2014 9:32 PM Minor text corrections.
    Tuesday, August 26, 2014 9:28 PM

Answers

• Hi, let us know the UPS you use. A "true online" product can help bad wiring scenario. Like the SmartUPS is, the AC output from the UPS is took from the battery, and the AC input is only to charge the battery (you are isolated from the electrical circuit). So, you are safier for over or low voltage. (Small UPS act like a powerbar, and switch the output from the battery in case of a AC's change, but you are not isolated)

Second point, in a R210 I think the onboard HDD controller does not have a battery pack, but it can help in a bad shutdown, as the controller have the time to finish it's write to the disk.

Regards, Philippe

Don't forget to mark as answer or vote as helpful to help identify good information. ( linkedin endorsement never hurt too :o) )

Answer an interesting question ? Create a wiki article about it!

• Edited by Yagmoth555MVP Saturday, August 30, 2014 3:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alex Lv Monday, September 8, 2014 8:25 AM
    Saturday, August 30, 2014 2:30 AM
  • what's the UPS setting?

If you are using a smart UPS, there should be a setting for graceful shutdown for the system.

Or you should always prepare a recovery disc and train someone to do  recovery. (for worst scenario)

check out link below:

http://superuser.com/questions/194412/is-ntfs-fail-safe-in-case-of-a-power-outage

Every second counts..make use of it. Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
    IT Stuff Quick Bytes

• Marked as answer by Alex Lv Monday, September 8, 2014 8:24 AM
    Friday, August 29, 2014 7:01 AM
  • Hi Philippe, its good to know the the onboard HDD controller can have a battery pack. But it will function even though the OS is not operational?

What server brand and model have this technology?

Thank you. :)

Every second counts..make use of it. Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
    IT Stuff Quick Bytes

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 1:23 AM

All replies

• NTFS is a journaling file system. Make sure you have "Enable write caching" set on the drive.
    Tuesday, August 26, 2014 9:48 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. I've located that option at the hardware tab of the disk properties. However it actually says that it makes the disk more prone to corruption. I am curious about how such feature would help me.
    • Proposed as answer by Alex Lv Monday, September 8, 2014 8:24 AM
    Thursday, August 28, 2014 6:38 PM
  • what's the UPS setting?

If you are using a smart UPS, there should be a setting for graceful shutdown for the system.

Or you should always prepare a recovery disc and train someone to do  recovery. (for worst scenario)

check out link below:

http://superuser.com/questions/194412/is-ntfs-fail-safe-in-case-of-a-power-outage

IT Stuff Quick Bytes

• Marked as answer by Alex Lv Monday, September 8, 2014 8:24 AM
    Friday, August 29, 2014 7:01 AM
  • Hi, let us know the UPS you use. A "true online" product can help bad wiring scenario. Like the SmartUPS is, the AC output from the UPS is took from the battery, and the AC input is only to charge the battery (you are isolated from the electrical circuit). So, you are safier for over or low voltage. (Small UPS act like a powerbar, and switch the output from the battery in case of a AC's change, but you are not isolated)

Second point, in a R210 I think the onboard HDD controller does not have a battery pack, but it can help in a bad shutdown, as the controller have the time to finish it's write to the disk.

Regards, Philippe

Don't forget to mark as answer or vote as helpful to help identify good information. ( linkedin endorsement never hurt too :o) )

• Edited by Yagmoth555MVP Saturday, August 30, 2014 3:39 AM
    Saturday, August 30, 2014 2:30 AM
  • Hi Philippe, its good to know the the onboard HDD controller can have a battery pack. But it will function even though the OS is not operational?

What server brand and model have this technology?

Thank you. :)

IT Stuff Quick Bytes

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 1:23 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, as it keep the write buffer in the memory for a period of time, like 72H. When the server restart it finish the write buffer :) Less risk to corrupt that way (so yes it's OS independant, but always depend on the ondoard controller)

For the brand I seen that in HP mostly, for the Dell it depend what the system builder configured the system with. It's usually a clip module that you can plug into the motherboard to make the upgrade. It's a memory kit usually, that you can plug a battery on it.

Look like that ;  we can see the memory upgrade kit with the battery that directly plug into the motherboard :)

Regards, Philippe

Wednesday, September 3, 2014 3:55 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, as it keep the write buffer in the memory for a period of time, like 72H. When the server restart it finish the write buffer :) Less risk to corrupt that way (so yes it's OS independant, but always depend on the ondoard controller)

For the brand I seen that in HP mostly, for the Dell it depend what the system builder configured the system with. It's usually a clip module that you can plug into the motherboard to make the upgrade. It's a memory kit usually, that you can plug a battery on it.

Look like that ;  we can see the memory upgrade kit with the battery that directly plug into the motherboard :)

Regards, Philippe

Thank you so much for the info...Cool.. Hope Technet will have another forum to discuss things like this...hahah..

IT Stuff Quick Bytes

Wednesday, September 3, 2014 5:21 AM
  • NTFS is a journaling file system. Make sure you have "Enable write caching" set on the drive.

Hi The_Tecguy,

If enable the writebuffer and your array adapter battery failure or work unreliable all the buffered data will lose when AC down.

Reagards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Edited by Alex Lv Monday, September 8, 2014 8:24 AM
    Monday, September 8, 2014 8:23 AM
  • Yes Alex, I assumed he had a controller with a battery pack.
    Tuesday, September 9, 2014 8:08 PM