none
MS Project Very Slow and Project Files Large when Using Shared Resource Pool RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are using MS Project 2010 Professional in our organization and using a shared resource pool so we can easily identify resource conflicts.  When we started this process many months ago the resource pool worked great.  Now that we have nearly all of our projects (~40) using the resource pool, it has become essentially unusable.  Each project file that is sharing the resource pool is 12 MB or greater in file size, and most of the project files contain less than 100 lines.  Saving any file takes ~4 minutes.  As a result, many of the resource managers and project managers are starting to avoid using MS Project which is undermining our original intent.

Any thoughts on what we could try to regain the usability, make the file sizes smaller, improve save times, etc.?  Will MS Project Server fix all of these issues?

Thanks,

Josh

Monday, January 13, 2014 1:02 PM

All replies

• Hi Josh,

Please refer to this related post that might help you.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Monday, January 13, 2014 1:30 PM
  • Josh --

The shared resource pool file functionality with Microsoft Project is actually ancient technology, no matter what version of the software you use.  The reason it is so slow is because the shared resource pool file contains all of the task assignments for every resource in ever project, so over time, the shared resource pool file grows larger and larger.

If your organizer moved to Project Server 2010, yes, that improve the file sizes and save times.  Plus, using Project Server 2010 would give you many other features you do not current have, such as allowing your team members to enter progress into a timesheet and allowing the project manager to approve the task updates.  Keep in mind, however, that Project Server 2010 is an enterprise project management application, so I would recommend you seek the services of a qualified consultant to help you set up and implement the software, should you decide to move to Project Server.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, January 13, 2014 2:01 PM
  • Sorry, I actually didn't give the link: 

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/projectserver/en-US/7d643e05-6e5e-48bf-9b59-9493fe4fc9a4/microsoft-project-files-huge-and-slow?forum=projectprofessional2010general

My apologize.

Monday, January 13, 2014 2:05 PM
  • Sorry, I actually didn't give the link: 

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/projectserver/en-US/7d643e05-6e5e-48bf-9b59-9493fe4fc9a4/microsoft-project-files-huge-and-slow?forum=projectprofessional2010general

My apologize.

Thanks Guillaume.

I did learn that we have many duplicate calendars; however, removing the duplicates followed by a save as still results in huge file sizes and slow operation.

Monday, January 13, 2014 6:05 PM
  • Josh --

The shared resource pool file functionality with Microsoft Project is actually ancient technology, no matter what version of the software you use.  The reason it is so slow is because the shared resource pool file contains all of the task assignments for every resource in ever project, so over time, the shared resource pool file grows larger and larger.

If your organizer moved to Project Server 2010, yes, that improve the file sizes and save times.  Plus, using Project Server 2010 would give you many other features you do not current have, such as allowing your team members to enter progress into a timesheet and allowing the project manager to approve the task updates.  Keep in mind, however, that Project Server 2010 is an enterprise project management application, so I would recommend you seek the services of a qualified consultant to help you set up and implement the software, should you decide to move to Project Server.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thank you Dale.  I need to know how to get in touch with a consultant to help us resolve this issue quickly before we loose all project management.  Microsoft directly or third party? Suggestions?
    Monday, January 13, 2014 6:07 PM
  • Hi Josh,

As Dale mentionned, many files with a shared resource pool might imply large files. Project Server will definitively help you, providing enterprise resources.

As a workaround, you could try the following on a test : 

• save it as XML file and save it again as MPP file

Hope this helps.

Monday, January 13, 2014 6:15 PM
  • If any of your PMs renamed, moved or over-wrote their project file whilst linked to the Resource Pool or a master, then the file may well have corrupted itself or the pool or both. With 40 files, you can guarantee one or more PMs will do one of the above, so file corruption is a when, not if (2days or 2 years or more).

For 40 projects Project Server or any solution that copies data to a database so the resource data can be consolidated is needed. Project Server is not a simple application, it's a full server and requires proper training and processes to add value. And it needs configuring by someone who knows what they're doing!

In the mean time try unattaching all project files from the pool, then create a new blank pool and re-attach.You will also need to File, Save as to repair each project file if needed. For bad corruption save as to a .xml format then re-import to a blank project.

Or, create a new master each time by inserting all projects into a new blank project, but deselecting the Link option. All tasks are then copied and the resource data consolidated. Record a macro to make creating this very quick and easy (provided your network isn't too slow).

<p>Rod Gill</p> <p><a href="http://www.project-systems.co.nz/project-vba-book/index.html/">The one and only Project VBA Book</a> <a href="http://www.project-systems.co.nz/"></p> <p>Rod Gill Project Management</a></p>

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 6:09 AM
  • Hi Josh,

all proposed solutions did not work for me.

I did the following in MS Project 2007. First I saved-as the resource pool file in excel. Then I opened it again in MS Project 2007. I immediately saw the decrease in MB. 

Finally I opened every project file and connected it to the new resource pool. It decreased big project files from 6 MB to about 750 kb. After this the problem was successfully solved. 

It looks simple, but it took me two days to figure out.

Regards Jan Willem Tromp

Sunday, June 21, 2015 7:41 AM