none
Critical task = "No" when Slack = 0 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a rather large plan in 2013 where the slack in most of the tasks is zero but the Critical field is "No".  

I have already checked in calculation options that days less than or equal to zero and critical task box is checked. All tasks with zero slack are showing in Gantt as Critical = No Help!

Thursday, March 3, 2016 7:37 PM

All replies

• Paul,

Let's first check some basics.

Is your version of Project 2013 updated with the latest Public Update (i.e. Feb 2016)? If not, run Windows Update.

With the Critical box checked (Format/Bar Styles group) do your Gantt Bars show red for all tasks with zero total slack? (A screen shot might be helpful.)

Are all your tasks auto-scheduled?

Are any of the tasks complete that show zero total slack yet "No" in the Critical field?

If you simulate a few of the tasks that display the issue in a new separate file, do they also show the issue?

John

Thursday, March 3, 2016 8:15 PM
  • I can't send screen shots until my account has been verified.

All updates have been applied

All tasks are auto scheduled.

With critical box checked there are NO red bars on Gantt for critical=no but there are for the few tasks where critical = yes

There are many completed tasks with slack = 0 and critical = no

Thursday, March 3, 2016 9:35 PM
  • Finished tasks cannot be critical because, well, because they are finished. Their start and finish dates are the actual start and actual finish dates. Their earliest and latest dates are the same, the actuals. The concept of critical can only apply to tasks which are scheduled, and in the future.
    Thursday, March 3, 2016 11:26 PM
  • Paul,

Okay, a completed task is not critical because it's done. It will still show a total slack of zero, again, because it's done. Does that resolve the issue?

If not, did you try my last suggestion about simulating the problem in a new file?

John

Thursday, March 3, 2016 11:28 PM
  • Hi,

Maybe this helps?

"Slack" is ambiguous. Project often uses Free Slack when showing "Slack"

OTOH, tasks are critical when TOTAL SLACK is 0.

Greetings,

Friday, March 4, 2016 11:10 AM
  • Jan,

Good point. Although I used the term total slack in my responses the user may not have noted the subtle difference.

John

Friday, March 4, 2016 3:28 PM