Host Not Responding for all my HVH in SCVMM 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• 2 weeks ago, my SCVMM 2016 suddenly showed all my hosts not responding. We have not made any changes to SCVMM itself. We tried rebooting, restarting services, ensuring the service accounts are not locked. We went into the fabric and saw the WinRM Critical error and that applies to all the hosts too. Anyone knows how to fix this?

Thursday, July 2, 2020 11:48 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Please check the network connectivity between SCVMM and Hosts by using Ping tool. Besides, please make sure the host name can be resolved from the SCVMM server by using nslookup tool.

The WinRM server should be running on both SCVMM server and hosts.

Please also check the items introduced in the following KB article.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2742246/troubleshooting-needs-attention-not-responding-and-access-denied-hosts

Best regards,
    Andy Liu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 3, 2020 1:26 AM
  • hi,

i am able to ping to the individual host from the SCVMM server.  i have checked all the records are in the DNS.  Also checked that all hosts and SCVMM and running the WinRM service.

Monday, July 6, 2020 3:37 AM
  • Hi,

You may want to check the WINRM communication using manual way. From SCVMM server use below query against one of the non-working Hosts and see if it works. SCVMM queries the WMI using WINRM for a given host during refresh job. Try below command and share the result.

winrm enum wmi/root/virtualization/v2/Msvm_VirtualSystemManagementService -r:http://HOSTFQDN:5985

You can also collect VMM Logman Trace while refreshing the Host. It will show you some more WINRM queries which VMM sends to the managed hosts including the above one and you can try each to identify which query is failing. 

Also, if you have added any Group policy for WINRM recently, try to revert it or temporarily move the VMM server and Host to a new OU and enable block inheritance and retry it after reboot. Try these steps and update, hopefully you will find something helpful. 

Monday, July 6, 2020 4:01 PM
  • winrm enum wmi/root/virtualization/v2/Msvm_VirtualSystemManagementService -r:http://SCVMM2016:5985
    WSManFault
        Message = The WinRM client cannot process the request because the server name cannot be resolved.

Error number:  -2144108103 0x803381B9
    The WinRM client cannot process the request because the server name cannot be resolved.

the above was what i got when i ran the command. Which part of the group policy should i be looking it? 

Wednesday, July 8, 2020 10:18 AM
  • i used the VMM Logman Trace, and all the hosts showed up in this error :

[3]7C3C.BE58::‎2020‎-‎07‎-‎08 18:22:07.287 [Microsoft-VirtualMachineManager-Debug]14,4,private\product\engine\ImgLibEngine\wnvManager.cs,686,OnNewWNVEvent: host: [SCVMM2016-01.mydomain.com]: FAILED. The WinRM client cannot process the request because the server name cannot be resolved.,{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000},
    Wednesday, July 8, 2020 10:28 AM
  • winrm enum wmi/root/virtualization/v2/Msvm_VirtualSystemManagementService -r:http://SCVMM2016:5985
    WSManFault
        Message = The WinRM client cannot process the request because the server name cannot be resolved.

Error number:  -2144108103 0x803381B9
    The WinRM client cannot process the request because the server name cannot be resolved.

the above was what i got when i ran the command. Which part of the group policy should i be looking it? 

Try below steps on one of the hosts:

• Open up a command prompt
    • Type in WINRM quickconfig

Once done, retry the previous WINRM command I shared and see if it works. Please confirm if you have any GPO enabled for WINRM in your environment? Its highly unlikely that all your hosts started giving WINRM error at the same time. Please check your GPO policies or just move VMM and one of the hosts to a new OU and test the same WINRM query against it.

Wednesday, July 8, 2020 3:25 PM
  • i have run the command on 1 of the affected host. the command prompt shows :

WinRM service is already running on this machine.WinRM is already set up for remote management on this computer.

I have also moved this host to another OU. Would you be able to share where in the policy is the WinRM configured?

Monday, July 13, 2020 1:43 AM
  • Hi,

Follow the steps on the below links to troubleshoot the WINRM issue from VMM perspective.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/2742246/troubleshooting-needs-attention-not-responding-and-access-denied-hosts

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/9126.vmm-troubleshooting-windows-remote-management-winrm.aspx

For GPO policy, you can run below command to generate a report for all the policies applied on a system:

GPRESULT /H c:\winrm.html

Once done, review the winrm.html file for WINRM settings.

Monday, July 13, 2020 1:55 PM
  • i noticed the following entries inside WinRM. We are not sure when are they adjusted nor if they are the cause. Any comments?

Friday, July 17, 2020 6:39 AM
  • Hi,

I can see that basic authentication is disabled so as the Unencrypted traffic, these 2 settings will definitely cause VMM communication issue with the managed hosts. Run following commands to configure these settings:

Run the following command to enable basic authentication:

winrm set winrm/config/service/auth @{Basic="true"}

Run the following command to allow transfer of unencrypted data on the WinRM service.

winrm set winrm/config/service @{AllowUnencrypted="true"}

You need to check if these settings are configured on vmm host as well. This needs to be same from both the sides.

Regards, Aayoosh Moitro Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, July 17, 2020 7:44 AM
  • Hi,

Did you change the WINRM settings and if it worked?

Regards
    Aayoosh Moitro

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help

Monday, July 20, 2020 2:30 PM
  • Hello,

To make it clear, I write a summary here.

Issue

===========

Host Not Responding for all my HVH in SCVMM 2016

Possible Resolution

===========

Run the following command to enable basic authentication:

winrm set winrm/config/service/auth @{Basic="true"}

Run the following command to allow transfer of unencrypted data on the WinRM service.

winrm set winrm/config/service @{AllowUnencrypted="true"}

You need to check if these settings are configured on vmm host as well. This needs to be same from both the sides.

Best regards,
    Andy Liu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 19, 2020 5:47 AM