No Shadow Copies shown but space is used up. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to delete my shadow copy on my server but I am unable to delete as there does not have any backup copy for me to delete. And currently now its is taking up to 13GB of space which I does not know how to delete. I check on my event viewer and I got the message below . I tried to google and check all the services and also vss service and it seem to be working

Event Viewer Message:

Volume Shadow Copy Service information: The COM Server with CLSID {e579ab5f-1cc4-44b4-bed9-de0991ff0623} and name Coordinator cannot be started. [0x80070005, Access is denied.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 4:01 AM

Answers

• Dear guys,

I managed to solve the issue.

1) Go to My computer
    2) Right click on the drive (C: D: E: etc....)
    3) Select "configure shadow copies"
    4) Click on "setting" on the drive that is affecting
    5) At the Maximum Size "Change the Use Limit to 320mb which is the minimum required
    6) Press ok
    7) Enable or disable back or vice versa(but in the end still have to disable it)
    8) delete any existing copies of shadow copies
    9) Press ok
    10) Monitor for the next 12hrs or so
    11) After 12hrs the space which previously took up ur shadow copies which u unable to delete is delete automatically.

Phew... Hope it help if anyone face the issue.

• Marked as answer by CedricBRC Friday, March 8, 2013 1:32 AM
    Friday, March 8, 2013 1:32 AM

All replies

• are you trying this from administrator command prompt?

Can you let me know OS version

Regards

Satish

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 9:48 AM
  • Hi,

I am running Window Server 2008 R2 Standard.

Yup I did try to run from administrator command prompt.

Thanks. Please assist

• Edited by CedricBRC Wednesday, March 6, 2013 2:46 PM
    Wednesday, March 6, 2013 9:54 AM
  • Hi,

I am trying to delete my shadow copy on my server but I am unable to delete as there does not have any backup copy for me to delete. And currently now its is taking up to 13GB of space which I does not know how to delete. I check on my event viewer and I got the message below . I tried to google and check all the services and also vss service and it seem to be working

Event Viewer Message:

Volume Shadow Copy Service information: The COM Server with CLSID {e579ab5f-1cc4-44b4-bed9-de0991ff0623} and name Coordinator cannot be started. [0x80070005, Access is denied.

someone please assist me on this. Appreciate!!!!!!!
    Thursday, March 7, 2013 2:13 AM
  • Hi,

As the purpose is to delete shadow copies, please test to disable and re-enable shadow copy to see if space is still in using (right click on Computers in Start button, choose Properties and go to System Protection).

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 7, 2013 9:18 AM
  • Hi

I had try to disable and enable the shadow copy but it unable to delete the space.

To my horror, it increase the shadow copy space used up. and when I delete the shadow copy the used up space unable to drop.

Oh dear... its really scary.

Thursday, March 7, 2013 9:40 AM
  • Dear guys,

I managed to solve the issue.

1) Go to My computer
    2) Right click on the drive (C: D: E: etc....)
    3) Select "configure shadow copies"
    4) Click on "setting" on the drive that is affecting
    5) At the Maximum Size "Change the Use Limit to 320mb which is the minimum required
    6) Press ok
    7) Enable or disable back or vice versa(but in the end still have to disable it)
    8) delete any existing copies of shadow copies
    9) Press ok
    10) Monitor for the next 12hrs or so
    11) After 12hrs the space which previously took up ur shadow copies which u unable to delete is delete automatically.

Phew... Hope it help if anyone face the issue.

• Marked as answer by CedricBRC Friday, March 8, 2013 1:32 AM
    Friday, March 8, 2013 1:32 AM