none
2013: Colon in resource name breaks project publishing job RRS feed

  • Question

  • We have a customer who uses a colon in AD usernames for external users. People are named e.g. "Bond, James (external: MI6)".

    When we assign two or more of these users to a task in PWA and publish the project, the job fails. The publishing job stops at 87%. A look into ULS logfile reveals that SynchronizeTaskListInManagedModeMessage fails, because "membership provider "Bond, James (external:" could not be found.

    So Project Server somehow passes the user information to SharePoint in a way that the part up to the colon is interpreted as a membership provider :-(

    Fast and dirty solution: Use SQL to replace the : in resourcename in published and reporting database tables. Works perfect - but of course this is nothing we should do....... :-(

    We had similar issue with colon in the display name of the service account we tried to make admin on creating the PWA site. Here the provisioning would fail wilth a similar error message - but it works if you use PowerShell or use a user account without colon when the site is created and change it later.....

    Anyone seen an issue like that and/or having a different suggestion how to solve the issue?

    Yes, we will probably escalate this to Microsoft but have little hope to receive a fix soon.

    And No: we cannot convince the IT department to change their naming scheme for some 100.000 user accounts just for Project Server ....

    Thanks

    Christoph


    Christoph Muelder | Senior Consultant, MCTS, MCSE, MCT | SOLVIN information management GmbH, Germany

    Tuesday, June 17, 2014 6:52 PM

All replies

  • Hello Christoph,

    I hope you have found more information on this by now. If not, I would be happy to help.

    1> Can you please share complete error from the ULS log.

    2> I think it should be reproducible issue and hence could be filed for review to product team.

    3> If this is for business critical I would suggest to open a Microsoft support incident to expedite reporting.

    Saturday, July 19, 2014 12:17 AM
  • Hello Christoph,

    I am trying to check if you have reported the issue with support. This could be a potential issue and could be better handled by engaging Microsoft support team for taking a look.

    Tuesday, July 22, 2014 6:27 PM
  • Hi Shazeb,

    thanks for response.
    We opened a support call for that. Received response that a hotfix would be needed for that and we need a premier call to get one. Convinced the customer to raise a premier call. This is still open.

    I will post here as soon as I have a final answer to the issue.

    Regards

    Christoph


    Christoph Muelder | Senior Consultant, MCTS, MCSE, MCT | SOLVIN information management GmbH, Germany

    Tuesday, July 22, 2014 6:29 PM