none
Easiest way to export planned hours RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

Just a quick question for you today. For reporting purposes, I need to extract the planned work (in hours) by resources in certain groups over a fixed period of time. So, for example, I want to see that the Quality Assurance group had 240 hours of work scheduled from Dec 1 to Dec 15. And I need to get it to Excel.

I've been playing around with a lot of things, but it hasn't been working out very easily.

Thoughts?

~Steve

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 4:02 PM

Answers

• If you want to report on only one project, do not open the resource pool file when you open the project file.  You'll only see assignments for the current project.

Sorry, the Project field which is normally available on assignment lines in the Resource Usage view does not appear to be available in the Resource Summary report.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 5:41 PM

All replies

• Steve,

There are a couple of options you have depending on the format you want to see it in, i.e. a simple Excel spreadsheet with data or data with a graph.

Have you tried using the Resource Work Summary Report in Visual Reports?  You did not mention which version you are using, or if you needed a chart to go along with the report, but if you have 2007 or 2010 these visual reports are available.  A visual report gives you more flexibility working with the data because it builds a pivot table where you can easily select date ranges.

You could also create a custom export map that maps selected fields for export to Excel and allows the use of a filter (resource group for example) and you can build the filter in such a way to specify dates for the data to filter out (Dec 1 to Dec 15).

Hope this helped.

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 4:24 PM
  • Thanks very much for your reply!

I've tried the Resource Work Summary Report, which honestly is just about exactly what I need (although I don't need the chart). However, I can't seem to get it to show the Group for the resources. Any idea if that's possible? When I edit it, the Group appears in the list of available fields, but no matter what I do, when I run the report I can't see the Group.

Thanks!

Steve

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 9:53 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Right click on any one of the resources in the pivot table and choose "Show Properties in Report".  Select Group from the shortcut menu.

I help this helps.

Julie

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 10:00 PM
  • OK, getting there!

However, now I can get the group in the report, but I can't seem to group the pivot by the "Group" instead of the individuals. I realize we're now drifting into "Excel help," but if you have any suggestions, they would be much appreciated! :)

~Steve

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 12:23 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Sorry, Group is not a "pivot" field.  I am by no means an Excel expert -- but I have found that if you convert the cube to formulas in Excel, the data then just becomes a spreadsheet.  I can re-arrange, filter etc to get what I need.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 2:15 PM
  • OK, that helps too. :)

To bring it back into the realm of MS Project, though... I managed to get it to do what I wanted with your help, but this project uses a shared resource pool. Despite the fact that I am running the report in the context of just one project, this report is bringing back ALL resource hours for the selected time period, and not just the hours being used on this project. I can't seem to find a way to include Project as one of the criteria in the report.

Any ideas how I can do the same thing we were discussing, but only get the results for a single, specified project. Or, alternately, results for ALL projects, but with the project data included so that I can sort/filter/sum appropriately?

Thanks!

Steve

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 3:28 PM
  • If you want to report on only one project, do not open the resource pool file when you open the project file.  You'll only see assignments for the current project.

Sorry, the Project field which is normally available on assignment lines in the Resource Usage view does not appear to be available in the Resource Summary report.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 5:41 PM
  • OK, great, thanks very much!

Now I don't know which post to mark as the answer, since they were all very helpful. ;)

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 8:42 PM
  • Great.  Glad to know you have it sorted.  As far as marking posts, I believe you can mark more than one post as the answer :-)

Julie

Thursday, December 22, 2011 2:42 AM