none
Open MS Project 2010 mpp file from a website link RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We're using MS Project Professional 2010, and we have a website that links to the .mpp files.
    When I click on a link to an .mpp file, I get prompted with a file download dialog, where I click "Open" and MS Project opens, but then gives me this error:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

When I click OK, the mpp file is opened in the browser window. It doesn't make any difference if I set a target on the link.
    The message is not correct:
    - File name and path are correct.
    - File format is MS Project 2010 format, nothing wrong with that.
    - It's not an early version file.

If I copy paste the link URL in Start > Run, then the file opens just fine inside MS Project 2010, so it's really the browser scenario that is failing here.

How can I force to open the files in MS Project, and not in the browser?

Thanks in advance,
    Kurt

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 11:07 AM

Answers

• kurtvd,

It sounds like this question is better suited to the Project customization forum at, http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/project2010custprog/threads, or perhaps a forum that deals with Internet Explorer. This forum is dedicated to general questions about Project itself.

John

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 4:24 PM

All replies

• Well in fact, it is Internet Explorer (we have version 8) that is failing.
    If I do this in FireFox, it works just fine.

Can I prevent Internet Explorer to open microsoft project files inside the browser?
    Can I do this from the website, or do I need to update the settings on each client at our company (500+ computers).

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 11:12 AM
  • kurtvd,

It sounds like this question is better suited to the Project customization forum at, http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/project2010custprog/threads, or perhaps a forum that deals with Internet Explorer. This forum is dedicated to general questions about Project itself.

John

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 4:24 PM
  • John,

Ok thanks I'll repost my question in the Internet Explorer form to see if they can help me out there.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 9:11 AM