Word 2003 always opens documents in READ-ONLY mode RRS feed

• Question

• We have an SBS2011 server which is running SharePoint 2010.  We've got 25+ Windows 7 Pro 64-bit PCs which are still running Word 2003 and they have NO problem connecting to the http://companyweb and then into the "Shared Documents Library" and we can click on the down arrow at the side of a document and choose "Edit in Microsoft Word" from the list and Word will open the document in READ/WRITE mode assuming no-one else has it open for editing or has it checked out.  I've upgraded 2 PCs to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit and now Word CAN NOT open any documents in the "Shared Documents Library" in ANYTHING other than READ-ONLY.  Even if you click the document's name in the list and chose the Edit option or use the down-arrow to select "Edit in Microsoft Word" then as soon as Word opens and loads the document it has "(read-only)" in the title bar and you cannot save the document back to the SharePoint site.

It's driving me demented trying to sort this.  I know we should be migrating from Word 2003 but that just isn't going to happen within the Windows 10 free upgrade period.  It's over £6k +VAT just to upgrade Word!

I've tried this suggestion without success...

Quit all running Office 2003 programs.
    Open register (regedit.exe)
    Locate and then right-click the following registry subkey: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\Internet
    Point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
    Type OpenDocumentsReadWriteWhileBrowsing, and then press ENTER.
    Right-click OpenDocumentsReadWriteWhileBrowsing, and then click Modify.
    In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
    On the File menu, click Exit to quit Registry Editor.

And this one...

Affected systems had a HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\Web Extender Client\wecctlflags key which was set to a value of 2
    Delete wecctlflags

(None of out PCs have the  Web Server Extensions key so this clearly wasn't relevant to us!)

Does ANYONE have any ideas of where to even start looking for a solution even if you don't have an actual solution, which is obviously preferred!  What the heck has changed between Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro in regards to opening SharePoint stored Word documents?

Thanks

Phil Tyler

Friday, March 18, 2016 4:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my research, Only the following versions of Microsoft Office with the latest Service Packs have been confirmed to be compatible with Windows 10:

• Office 2016
    • Office 2013/Office 365
    • Office 2010
    • Office 2007

Older versions of Office such as Office 2003 and Office XP are not certified compatible with Windows 10. Moreover, Office 2003 is not supported by Microsoft now. See:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Support-has-ended-for-Office-2003-c5118100-b738-4163-b7c1-b9c4fe5b6b90

To get better support and user experience, I'd recommend you upgrade to a newer version of Office.

Thanks,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Monday, March 21, 2016 2:05 AM
  • They may not be Microsoft certified, but I have both Word 2003 and Word 97 running on Windows 10. There is a very real cost in terms of training, time, and angst changing from Word 2003 to any of the Ribbon versions. Eventually you will have to bite the bullet but I don't see this problem as being the reason.

With Word already open, can they use Ctrl+O or File>Open to open one of these files.

I see this as being a problem with file permissions rather than directly in Word.

Can you save a file in one of these shared folders from a Windows 10 computer? (That would be write permissions.)

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Monday, March 21, 2016 7:58 PM
  • They may not be Microsoft certified, but I have both Word 2003 and Word 97 running on Windows 10. There is a very real cost in terms of training, time, and angst changing from Word 2003 to any of the Ribbon versions. Eventually you will have to bite the bullet but I don't see this problem as being the reason.

With Word already open, can they use Ctrl+O or File>Open to open one of these files.

I see this as being a problem with file permissions rather than directly in Word.

Can you save a file in one of these shared folders from a Windows 10 computer? (That would be write permissions.)

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Very few people are running in this scenario, so help is going to be few and far between.  Sounds like you tried the most logical options.   I assume you have the SharePoint site added to the Local Intranet zone in Internet Explorer on the Win10 computers.  Other than that..best of luck.

Monday, March 21, 2016 8:05 PM
  • Sadly adding the http://companyweb to the local intranet zone doesn't help. But thanks for trying.

Phil Tyler

Monday, March 21, 2016 9:42 PM
  • I'm afraid they're not files in a folder - they're stored in the company intranet, you open them by clicking a link on the intranet website.  They open fine on the Windows 7 computers just not the Windows 10 ones so it's not file permissions.

Phil Tyler

Monday, March 21, 2016 9:45 PM
  • maybe you can post to Windows 10 forum to get further help.

Flynn

Friday, July 22, 2016 9:34 AM