none
need a way to permanently block Creator release

Question

• The W10 Enterprise computers at our office are being butchered by the rollout of the 1703 Creator release. We've been uninstalling it to get back to build 1607 and putting a checkmark in "Defer feature updates" but that will only keep creator off for "several months". How can we block it permanently?
    Friday, April 14, 2017 6:17 PM

Answers

• As I understand it, your options are to defer upgrades as per the article above, or

• Disable access to windows update via GPO and use WSUS instead to provide updates to clients. Do not approve the upgrades to later builds in WSUS, just the monthly cumulatives.
    • Disable access to windows update via GPO and use some other update management tool to push the monthly updates to clients. (SCCM, maybe?)
    • Disable access to windows update, including disabling the service. Not recommended, but technically an option.

NB, disabling access to windows update will also disable the store as a side effect. If you're considering LTSB, that's presumably not an issue as it doesn't have the store in the first place, but there is no upgrade path to (or from) LTSB - you'd have to wipe and reinstall everything. The above are all things you can do with the existing installs.

• Marked as answer by Don Powell Monday, April 17, 2017 2:38 PM
    Monday, April 17, 2017 12:38 PM

All replies

• There is no option to permanently block the Creators Update.  Please review this article.

Carey Frisch

Sunday, April 16, 2017 7:01 AM
  • Hi ,

I suggest you to check if Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB meets your requirement. The LTSB servicing model prevents Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB devices from receiving the usual feature updates and provides only quality updates to ensure that device security stays up to date.

Overview of Windows as a service
    "Microsoft never publishes feature updates through Windows Update on devices that run Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB. Instead, it typically offers new LTSB releases every 2–3 years, and organizations can choose to install them as in-place upgrades or even skip releases over a 10-year life cycle."
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/update/waas-overview

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 17, 2017 9:17 AM
  • LTSB was the option I was going to investigate if nobody else out there has found a way to permanently block feature updates for more the 180 days. I'm not sure if we can upgrade our existing users from Enterprise to Enterprise LTSB but I have to do something....the Anniversary edition has been working fairly well for us but the Creators edition has been a nightmare.
    Monday, April 17, 2017 10:48 AM
  • As I understand it, your options are to defer upgrades as per the article above, or

• Disable access to windows update via GPO and use WSUS instead to provide updates to clients. Do not approve the upgrades to later builds in WSUS, just the monthly cumulatives.
    • Disable access to windows update via GPO and use some other update management tool to push the monthly updates to clients. (SCCM, maybe?)
    • Disable access to windows update, including disabling the service. Not recommended, but technically an option.

NB, disabling access to windows update will also disable the store as a side effect. If you're considering LTSB, that's presumably not an issue as it doesn't have the store in the first place, but there is no upgrade path to (or from) LTSB - you'd have to wipe and reinstall everything. The above are all things you can do with the existing installs.

• Marked as answer by Don Powell Monday, April 17, 2017 2:38 PM
    Monday, April 17, 2017 12:38 PM
  • You are correct, I just tried to upgrade a system to LTSB but no go. Looks like I'm going to have to count on Microsoft to come out with a better build sometime in the next 180 days or pray that some wiz kid out there is willing to share a hack that will allow my Win10 users to get all updates except feature updates on a permanent basis.
    Monday, April 17, 2017 2:55 PM