none
Start up program is looping infinitely RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

so I have been trying to run a 2nd game application which works just fine for friends of mine, but I am having problems with it eventho I do the exact same steps.

I go into the Processexplorer, search my game, kill the same process they do, I then start my game application, then I am supposed to log in, but instead that's where it starts looping and the login application keeps repeating popping up, instead of starting the game. I have no idea what I do diff, I think it has to do with my pc?

Help would be very much appreciated.

Monday, July 1, 2019 12:13 PM

All replies

• This is not a sysinternals related question..

It has more to do with the game app you are trying to run..

I would start uninstalling and reinstalling it.

Starting it as Administrator.

What are the exact step you are following? Do you get any access denied? does the application you start goes in crash?

Also why don't you share a Process Monitor trace so we can have a look at it?

I would in any case go to ask the same question to the game application forum.. they will probably know better..

Thanks
    -mario 

Monday, July 1, 2019 1:47 PM
  • An update I managed to do on my gf's laptop. It works fine on hers on first time.
    Noticeable difference is that I run win8.1 and my friends and my gf win10.

What are the exact step you are following?
    "
    I go into the Processexplorer, search my game, kill the same process they do, I then start my game application, then I am supposed to log in, but instead that's where it starts looping and the login application keeps repeating popping up, instead of starting the game."

Do you get any access denied? 
    "no"

does the application you start goes in crash?
    "
    but instead that's where it starts looping and the login application keeps repeating popping up"

Also why don't you share a Process Monitor trace so we can have a look at it?
    "How do I do that?

I would in any case go to ask the same question to the game application forum.. they will probably know better..
    "it's probably not allowed"

Hope to find out soon! I tried finding previous versions for when win 8.1 times were around but with no luck. Maybe someone can help me on that?

Wednesday, July 3, 2019 6:20 PM
  • I still cannot follow what you are doing..

You start a game application, and so far so good..

Then you want to start a second game application, that for some reasons I dont know, you are expecting to start as soon as you kill the first one, so you start Procexp find the previous game app and kill it.

At this point you start the second game application but instead of logging you in it continuosly popup the same login form..

Correct me if I'm wrong..

Are you sure that you have to kill the previous game app before you logged in in the new one?? Maybe this has a dependency on the previous app and if it doesn't find it running then will stay at the login form forever..

So, i would start the new app, login and then eventually kill the previous one..

In any case I never seen that I need to kill an app to start another one.. it would be  a crazy design..

To take a Process Monitor log simply start Prcmon before killing the first app and start the second one, register all the operation, when you repro the problem, save the log in native format (.pml) and save all events, then share the file somehow. The file may be huge in size so compress it before sharing it..

HTH
    -mario 

Thursday, July 4, 2019 8:46 AM
  • Dear Mario, thank you for replying.

"Then you want to start a second game application, that for some reasons I dont know, you are expecting to start as soon as you kill the first one, so you start Procexp find the previous game app and kill it."

It is so that I kill only the first app, that way I would remove the login token, but the game would still be open. That way I can log in with a second game character. Or so it oughts to be. Works fine on my gf laptop, so must be something about my pc.

I tried old versions but nothing worked. Any similar experiences?

Thursday, July 4, 2019 11:10 PM
  • HI 

"It is so that I kill only the first app, that way I would remove the login token, but the game would still be open."

Do you mean the game is still open on a remote server? Because you killed the local instance of the first game..

"That way I can log in with a second game character" SO, your scope is to abruptuly terminate the first game so that the game is still open on a remote server and you can login with another character and continue the first match..

I think that probably on your system something changed and maybe when you kill the first process some "temp" file remain on your disk and you cannot start another game because the system find you already logged on..

With Procmon you could inspect the second load of the program and see if it open some files from the temp folder or from the game folder which have names that resemble something like "session", "login", "matches" and so on.. And I would delete them all..

Also, you could trace the first start of teh application to see if it write down some temp file.. Those maybe to be deleted before you start the second game..

Run procmon and set a filter for  "Category is Write"

This way you will found out all the file that gets created by the first app.. or written if they already exists.

You then could examine those files and try to understand if they are related to your session.. if some is related, after you kill the first game I would also delete the session related file if they were newly created or if they already existed and now contains a reference to the game, open the ad delete  the reference before starting again the app..

HTH
    -mario

Friday, July 5, 2019 7:59 AM