none
Exchange 2010 and DPM 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• opinion on what everyone does in this situation. Currently I am backing up the exchange mailbox database on our MB server using DPM. Then on our CH and MB server I am backing up the system state and the Exchange directories. Should I also create another protection group that also backs up both BMR's? or is that overkill and can cause issues?

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 2:16 PM

Answers

All replies

• opinion on what everyone does in this situation. Currently I am backing up the exchange mailbox database on our MB server using DPM. Then on our CH and MB server I am backing up the system state and the Exchange directories. Should I also create another protection group that also backs up both BMR's? or is that overkill and can cause issues?

Hi Nf69,

I would set it up like this:

• Protect the MB server and the CH server using BMR
    • Protect the Exchange directories (Optional)
    • Protect the mailbox database

By protecting the servers using BMR you will get a full backup of the servers. By backing up just the system state you would need to restore the OS first, then Exchange, and then the system state. With BMR protection you would be able to restore the servers back to a working state saving you time by not having to load the OS and Exchange.You would still need to restore the mailbox datanase after the BMR was restored. That is why it is good to have the database and even the directories in addition to the BMR.

My 2cents

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com
    Friday, November 11, 2011 2:39 AM
  • When I go to try and add a BMR protection group for both my CH and MB servers it won't let me select BMR, is that because I already have the system state being backed up on another Protection group or is it something else?
    Monday, November 14, 2011 1:59 PM
  • When I go to try and add a BMR protection group for both my CH and MB servers it won't let me select BMR, is that because I already have the system state being backed up on another Protection group or is it something else?

Hi nf69, 

I saw your other response and yes it works. In regards to the BMR did you make sure that Windows Backup was installed on each server? You wont be able to do BMR protection without that first. 

If you need more info on setting up BMR protection follow this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff634208.aspx

HTH

Monday, November 14, 2011 2:16 PM
  • pretty sure its set up correctly since i have been backing up exchange 2010, the directories and the system state on both servers for a while now. I will take a look at the article as well
    Monday, November 14, 2011 2:18 PM
  • think i found my issue.

You cannot protect BMR and System State for the same computer on different protection groups

Monday, November 14, 2011 2:26 PM
  • think i found my issue.

You cannot protect BMR and System State for the same computer on different protection groups

Good catch. Yep that is correct. Let us know it that did it.

Monday, November 14, 2011 2:27 PM
  • yeah well thought i was on the right path but now getting this when i create my PG. on both servers

DPM cannot create a backup because Windows Server Backup (WSB) on the protected computer encountered an error (WSB Event ID: 546, WSB Error Code:  0x80070005).

Monday, November 14, 2011 2:46 PM
  • yeah well thought i was on the right path but now getting this when i create my PG. on both servers

DPM cannot create a backup because Windows Server Backup (WSB) on the protected computer encountered an error (WSB Event ID: 546, WSB Error Code:  0x80070005).

Hi nf69,

Looks like your WSB is having issues on the local servers. Once resolved BMR should work. I have not seen that error, but I will see if I can help you with it.

Monday, November 14, 2011 3:10 PM
  • much appreciated since I can't figure it out. System states yesterday and regular backups over the weekend worked fine. Just this BMr creation is giving me a replica is inconsistnet failure
    Monday, November 14, 2011 3:11 PM
  • much appreciated since I can't figure it out. System states yesterday and regular backups over the weekend worked fine. Just this BMr creation is giving me a replica is inconsistnet failure

Hi nf69,

You will need to fix the issue with WSB and them BMR will work. You should try doing system state backup on the Exchange servers to see if that produces any errors: Here is syntax for this:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc742124%28WS.10%29.aspx

Also some other posts for troubleshooting that error and WSB:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dataprotectionmanager/thread/6c6a55f7-d316-4c33-96b0-5f695992fea2/

and

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmssandbmrbackup/thread/0eb58697-7615-4de1-977f-73851a2fe058/

Monday, November 14, 2011 4:18 PM
  • yeah i tried the first part and it works, created the windows image backup fine on a local drive. I'll go through the other posts as well..strange
    Monday, November 14, 2011 5:15 PM
  • okay now i just don't get it. If I create a manual system state backup on the servers, it works. If I create a PG with system states for just those two servers, it goes through the replication and all works fine. Just not BMR creation
    Monday, November 14, 2011 8:16 PM
  • Hi nf69,

I believe your windows backup may still be corrupt. Check your WSB logs here: C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsServerBackup for any errors.

Also are you able to do BMR protection on any of your other servers?

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 8:38 PM
  • Logs are clean

I will try the BMR on another server to see...

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 8:23 PM
  • Logs are clean

I will try the BMR on another server to see...

Hi nf69,

Any luck with that?

Thursday, November 17, 2011 6:49 AM
  • Tried it on a different server, same thing. Replica is inconsistent and won't run con. check
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 12:25 PM
  • will look at it, thanks
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 12:25 PM
  • Actually, sorry I was incorrect on the other server test. I am running it again and will let you know of the outcome. Had a incorect setting....
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 12:53 PM
  • Okay it does work on a different server just didn't on both my CH and MB server. THe system state does work on both those servers though. I am also going through the site that Shane sent over as well
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 1:29 PM
  • Okay it does work on a different server just didn't on both my CH and MB server. THe system state does work on both those servers though. I am also going through the site that Shane sent over as well

Hi nf69,

The guide from ShaneB is a good resource. This might sound simple but have you tried uninstalling WSB on the servers having the issue and re-installing? Note that you will need to reboot during that process. I know nothing is showing up in the logs but there sounds like there is corruption with WSB on those servers.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 3:14 PM
  • Well tried all that, still the same issue. I can run system states all day within dpm but cannot get BMR and system state to run within dpm, keep getting errors with access is denied...go figure. I'll just stick with system states for now and exchange MB protection.
    Monday, November 28, 2011 2:41 PM
  • Well tried all that, still the same issue. I can run system states all day within dpm but cannot get BMR and system state to run within dpm, keep getting errors with access is denied...go figure. I'll just stick with system states for now and exchange MB protection.

Hi nf69,

You should be able to do BMR on that server. If you want to resolve this you may need to open up a case with PSS or get a DPM consultant to look further into your setup.

Shane,

Any more ideas for nf69?

Monday, November 28, 2011 8:33 PM
  • Hello,

You could use process monitor to see "what" exactly is being denied. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

If you get nowhere there then I'd suggest that from this point to open up a case with Microsoft for further investigation.

Shane

Monday, November 28, 2011 9:20 PM
  • Thanks guys. I will do that.
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 12:46 PM
  • Hello,

Any luck?

Shane
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 5:30 PM
  • Hello,

I wanted to lend this information as well

As a general rule:

Bare metal recovery for exchange servers is generally discouraged by the Exchange team.

There are disaster recovery commands in Exchange that allow for an exchange server to be cleanly recovered and then you’d restore your last Exchange backup if necessary.

Exchange Recovery - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd876880.aspx

Regards, A.Nadar, This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 12:15 AM
  • Hello,

In light of the article that Andy has provided, thank you Andy, I suggest to setup a test lab and test out a DR scenario as the steps outlined in: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd876880.aspx

If you run into any issues I'd suggest you post on the Exchange server forums:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/category/exchangeserver

Thanks,
    Shane
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 7:36 PM
  • Yes, I have to plan for that and try Andy's and Shane's comments. Thank you all.
    Friday, February 3, 2012 1:42 PM