Folder Icon Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

In my user folder, the 'Download' folder has changed. It is now in a yellow colour rather than the blue one.  And also I can't find the icon in the list. It shows a blank icon for all the blue icons in the list.  I've tried 'Restore Default', it is still the same.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 10:30 PM

All replies

• are you using XP? there was a recent update that renewed the shell32.dll file which contains most of the XP systems icons. If you manually replaced the icon then windows may have reset it.

There are a couple questions to yours.. such as the 'download' folder (c:\Docume~1\user\download?) , you mean "C:\Docume~1\user\user's documents\download" ? Windows does not create this folder so I have to assume you created a folder, changed the icon and you probably deleted the "desktop.ini" file inside, where is this "icon list"? Shell32.dll? do you hav your own .icl group or something?

you have to be more affluent about your issues details if you want help from a forum ashudboy, otherwise no one will respond

Thursday, June 28, 2007 7:03 PM
  • my bad, seems there is a default windows "FOLDERID_Downloads " folder. there is no documentation for a default icon though, your going to have to try to figure out the rest on your own
    Thursday, June 28, 2007 7:18 PM
  • did you figure the problem out i have the same problem, can you email me at j.zipprich@hotmail.com
    Tuesday, July 3, 2007 1:45 PM
  •  I  Figured it out all the default vista icons are in this folder and file

C:\Windows\system32\imageres.dll

how to do this

1. Click my computer

2. Double click the C:/

3  double click  users folder

4. double Click your user profile folder Example Owner, Administrator whatever yours my be.

5. Right click on the folder you want to change the icon for for example the my pictures folder

6. Click Properties and  Select the customize tab

7 Click change-Icon button

8.  In the look for a icons in this file box paste the following   C:\Windows\system32\imageres.dll

9. Press the OK button

10.  Finally look for the default icons in the list select the icon and press ok then apply

Problem solved

Your default icon has been restored to the fancy one

Follow these steps for each icon you want to restore Example  Documents, Pictures, Music, Games there all in the same place. Have A Nice Day People.

Works on Microsoft Windows Vista  Only

• Proposed as answer by brandondub Saturday, April 10, 2010 1:33 AM
    Sunday, July 29, 2007 12:49 PM
  • Thanks a lot... Wink
    Friday, August 10, 2007 10:32 AM
  • Thanks, Master!  This has been driving me crazy because my most used folders don't stand out from the others. I've been searching for these default folder icons for awhile! 

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 11:58 PM
  • I did that and while I have the box open the icon is fine but if I apply it and come out then the folder reverts back to Yellow!
    Sunday, April 20, 2008 4:25 PM
  • Try to delete  the "desktop.ini" file in the parent folder. I would imagine it has corrupted.

In order to view the file click "Organize", "Folder and Search Options", "View", then click "Show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (Recomended)"
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 1:53 AM
  • Deleting the desktop.ini file makes it default to the shell32.dll as opposed to the imageres.dll and forces a yellow folder.  Is there a way to make the blue folders the default?

Sunday, July 6, 2008 1:00 AM
  • copy desktop.ini to own loaction or change folder icon to

%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-184

Thursday, July 10, 2008 6:05 PM
  • i had the same problem man, thanks a lot

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 11:06 PM
  • Thanks Master! I followed your exact instructions and the vista music icon was restored...it is a small thing but was bugging me. On MS Forums, solutions are now all that "Ads for Google" stuff/tricks. I registered here to be able to appreciate the time that you spend to do the research and share the fix :-) 
    Friday, October 10, 2008 3:46 AM
  • yah my custimized tab for the folders that dont have the fancy icon anymore yah theres no custimize button can you help me?
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 4:39 AM