Why does the following Expression.Evaluate scenario work? RRS feed

• Question

• Here's an expression:

List.First(List.Select({{"<=10000", "Up To $10,000"}}, each Expression.Evaluate(Number.ToText(10000) & _{0}))){1}

The expression returns "Up to $10,000"

I'm wondering why Expression.Evaluate works, even though I have not specified an environment record.

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 9:53 PM

Answers

• The only part that is actually evaluated, is "10000<=10000", which contains no function, so no environment record required.

• Marked as answer by Colin Banfield Thursday, November 30, 2017 2:50 PM
    Thursday, November 30, 2017 8:08 AM

All replies

• The only part that is actually evaluated, is "10000<=10000", which contains no function, so no environment record required.

• Marked as answer by Colin Banfield Thursday, November 30, 2017 2:50 PM
    Thursday, November 30, 2017 8:08 AM
  • Hey Marcel,

have you hacked the M-engine? :-)

Seriously: Where do you get this knowledge?

Imke Feldmann - MVP Data Platform (PowerBI) - http://www.TheBIccountant.com 

Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to vote it as helpful - Thanks!

Thursday, November 30, 2017 9:52 AM
  • Hi Imke,

No, just applied my personal logic.

Actually I meant, the only part that is evaluated by Expression.Evaluate.

So the part Number.ToText(10000) & _{0} is first evaluated (by the M-engine) to "10000<=10000", next this expression is evaluated by Expression.Evaluate.

Thursday, November 30, 2017 10:11 AM
  • So true! It would have become obvious, if one would have piped the expression ;-)

Function.Pipe(	10000, 
    		{
    		{Number.ToText}, 
    		{(number)=> List.Select({{"<= 10000", "Up To 10,000"}}, (list) => Expression.Evaluate(number & list{0}))}, 
    		{List.First}, 
    		{each _{1}} 
    	      )

With Function.Pipe as:

(x as any, operations) => 
    List.Accumulate(operations, 
    		x, 
    		(state, current) => Function.Invoke(current{0}, {state}&List.Skip(current))
    		)

Imke Feldmann - MVP Data Platform (PowerBI) - http://www.TheBIccountant.com 

Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to vote it as helpful - Thanks!

Thursday, November 30, 2017 10:59 AM

Thanks, Marcel. I was quite tired when I posted the question, and couldn't think through the logic. I was so fixated on the function being in the Expression.Evaluate expression that I completely overlooked the fact that Number.ToText was not in quotes, hence would be evaluated normally.

Imke, I think that you have over-analyzed the issue. :)

Thursday, November 30, 2017 2:58 PM