Error opening document in SharePoint: "No connectivity with the server" RRS feed

• Question

• I have a client running Windows SharePoint Services 3.0. The users all access SharePoint from a Windows terminal server (separate server to SharePoint), running Windows Server 2008 R2 and Office 2010. A small number of users are experiencing an issue when trying to open some documents in SharePoint, while other users can open those same documents without any issue.

For example, when attempting to open one of the troublesome documents, Microsoft Word displays the splash screen for 30 seconds with the message "Contacting the server for information", then returns the error message "No connectivity with the server. The file <file name> can't be opened because the server couldn't be contacted."

You can right-click on the hyperlink to the document, select "Save target as", save the file locally and open it without any problem.

As I said, this is only affecting a small number of users. Everyone else can open these files without any problem and all users are accessing SharePoint from the same computer (a Windows terminal server).

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 1:41 AM

All replies

• Some additional info after performing further testing: The document can be opened fine in Wordpad; the error only occurs if you try to open the document in Microsoft Word.
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012 10:33 PM
  • I scheduled a reboot of the terminal server and the problem went away. I guess I'll never know what the root cause was.
    Friday, April 27, 2012 2:07 AM
  • Hi,

So, if the issue comes up again, and the problem is reproducible for a particular user, you might have two ways to proceed:

1. To see if the problem lies between the Terminal Service session and the SharePoint server, I'd recommend that you place a Web Debugging Proxy on the Terminal Server (such as Fiddler2 - http://www.fiddler2.com/fiddler2/). You can start Word and see if the problem occurs again, and have a complete listing of the conversation between client and backend server - hopefully you'd be able to catch the error.
    2. You can turn up the verbosity of the ULS and Event logging in Central Administration -> Monitoring -> Configure Diagnostic Logging. Perhaps this will allow you to "capture" the issue from a backend server standpoint (assuming there is something going wrong internally with one of the services). Just remember to reset the logging back to its default levels once you are done troubleshooting (or you might fill up your logging drives - not good).

Glad to hear that the initial appearance of the problem has left - hopefully it will stay gone and you only had a momentary outage.

Troy Lanphier -- MCT/MCSE/MCITP SharePoint Server 2010 Administration -- Author: Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010 Inside Out -- http://blog.sharepointcookbook.com

Friday, April 27, 2012 2:21 AM