Install and configure SQL 2012 SSRS with Sharepoint 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hey folks,

I'm struggling to get SQL 2012 SSRS in SP mode installed into my existing farm.  My main confusion is what goes where.  I've queried, and there are about as many answers as there are posts.

My topology is as follows:

1.  WFE machine - Central Admin is installed here as well
    2.  APP machine
    3.  SQL machine.

Now... questions.

1.  Can I install SSRS for Sharepoint on the SQL machine, or does it need a dedicated machine?
    2.  Do I install ANYTHING having to do with SSRS on the SQL machine?
    3.  Do I install the SSRS for Sharepoint Add-In on the WFE machine only (since it's the machine where CA exists?)

I do have SQL 2012 SP1 installed on the SQL machine.

I can't seem to get a working integration. I got close by installing SSRS for SP on my app machine, then the Add-In on my WFE machine, but when I tried to go in and configure the Service App, it threw a 503 error saying that the server (APP01) wasn't responding to the webservice call. 

These are all virtual, so I have snapshots of everything at a base install.  Can someone please give me the big picture as to what goes where?  I have no issues with the installation steps on each server, or even the config steps - I'm just confused as to which elements go where.

TIA,

Bill Richardson

Monday, March 4, 2013 10:10 PM

Answers

• 1) It needs to be installed on a machine that runs SharePoint and is a member of a farm, e.g. your WFE or APP servers.

2) No.

3) Yes.

Did you install SSRS in the SharePoint Integrated mode?

FYI snapshots are not supported with SharePoint.

SharePoint - Nauplius Applications
    Microsoft SharePoint Server MVP
    MCITP: SharePoint Administrator 2010

-----------------------
    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 3:23 AM
  • You need to install SSRS on the SharePoint Server _only_.  Pick either your WFE or App Server (or both) -- I would generally recommend only installing it on the App server(s).

Microsoft supports running their products (SharePoint, Exchange, SQL, etc.) in VMWare's virtual environments fully, it just does not support snapshots of any kind for SharePoint.

-----------------------
    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, March 8, 2013 5:58 PM

All replies

• 1) It needs to be installed on a machine that runs SharePoint and is a member of a farm, e.g. your WFE or APP servers.

2) No.

3) Yes.

Did you install SSRS in the SharePoint Integrated mode?

FYI snapshots are not supported with SharePoint.

-----------------------

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 3:23 AM
  • Trevor - 

Thanks for this.  But one bit of confusion - how do you install SSRS in Sharepoint Integrated mode?  I thought that was what the SSRS for Sharepoint bits do?

Also - I'm referring to VMWare Snapshots - so I'm not sure why they wouldn't be supported with Sharepoint.  They are a complete image of the entire farm's VMs (WFE, APP, and SQL).

It seems to me that I may have missed a step - SSRS in Sharepoint Integrated mode?

EDIT... OH Sorry, this is my second MSDN account.  Still the OP.
    Tuesday, March 5, 2013 11:17 AM
  • Seems to be more of a terminology issue. If you install sql server, you have two choices:

- SSRS stand-alone

- SSRS for SharePoint, that's the one where SSRS runs in SharePoint integrated mode.

Installing the last bits is not enough, you'll also need to configure it. Lots of documentation about that, post here if you have trouble in this area.

As far as VMware goes... It'll work without a problem, but the simple fact is that VMware is not a MS product: so how can they support that configuration?

Kind regards,
    Margriet Bruggeman

Lois & Clark IT Services
    web site: http://www.loisandclark.eu
    blog: http://www.sharepointdragons.com

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 2:14 PM
  • Margriet,

Thanks for that.  So - Trevor says that I don't install anything on SQL.  But are you saying that I DO install SSRS for Sharepoint on SQL, as well as on the APP server?

As for VMWare - really was never an issue - I wasn't needing support for that - Trevor just gave me an FYI - but of course Sharepoint runs in a virtualized environment, whether HyperV, VMWare, or even AWS - so I doubt this is of any consequence.  I simply mentioned that I had snapshots (or checkpoints, if you will), so I can roll back if something goes wrong.

I'm comfortable with the configuration - as you said, plenty of discussion about that out there.  ALTHOUGH - some folks say to run the Powershell steps (Install-SPRSService and Install-SPRSService -Proxy), but MS says it's not necessary if SP is already installed when you install SSRS.  That's a bit confusing.

I just couldn't find ONE post anywhere that specifies exactly what goes where, especially since my topology is a fairly common one - one SQL box, one WFE, one APP server.  I guess once I get this all worked out - I'll blog about it myself to help the next person.  I do have SP 2013 installed with all of the BI stack except for SSRS and PowerView - so I'm close!

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 3:23 PM
  • You need to install SSRS on the SharePoint Server _only_.  Pick either your WFE or App Server (or both) -- I would generally recommend only installing it on the App server(s).

Microsoft supports running their products (SharePoint, Exchange, SQL, etc.) in VMWare's virtual environments fully, it just does not support snapshots of any kind for SharePoint.

-----------------------

Friday, March 8, 2013 5:58 PM