none
Microsoft Project - Resource Pool Major Issues (continuation) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have followed the the very helpful discussions in this forum under "Resource Pool Major Issues". I have read all the other related discussions as well.

I still have a question on the Resource Pool:- I am using a stand-alone version of Project Professional 2007

I create a Resource Pool; a Master Schedule and then insert several different Project Schedules into the Master. 

I have gone through the motions of harmonizing the calenders and all the other good stuff recommended in the blog. 

I then share the resources from the Pool.

When I open each activity to load the resources, I cannot see the shared resources except at the Project level (but not at the task level)

The only way I can pull the resources into the tasks is if I break the links of each inserted Project. (incidentally the inserted tasks are automatically linked option is de-selected)

Even then, I get an irritating message pop-up saying that the calender does not exist.

Has anyone had this experience, is it the correct way to share the resources; and do you have any thoughts, suggestions on this matter?

Thanks

FK

Friday, September 5, 2014 3:59 PM

Answers

• HardCore,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback. Posts on the forum are never closed but you can indicate that your question/issue has been answered by marking it as such.

John

Monday, September 15, 2014 4:53 PM

All replies

• Hard Core,

You indicate you have Project 2007 but you didn't tell us if you have SP3 installed. If not, do so.

Since you indicate that you have "read all related discussions" I will assume that you are aware of the tenuous nature of linked structures in Project and that they are prone to corruption.

Please clarify something. What exactly do you mean by "open each activity" and "I cannot see the shared resources except at the Project level"? Also, which links are you breaking?

We can't really tell you if what you are doing is the correct way, (probably not if you have to break links for it to work), until we understand exactly what you are doing.

John

Friday, September 5, 2014 4:25 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for that reply, John.

Yes, I am aware of the volatile nature of linked structures in Project.

I have since managed to get it to work by starting on a completely clean slate; created the pool; then created the projects from scratch; then shared the resources from the pool. Everything seems to be in order now - so I will not bother with the history.

I request that this query be closed.

Many thanks for your help - it's great to know that there are ring buoys and life savers for those of us swimming out at the deep end. :-)

Kind regards

HardCore

Hardcore Scheduling Inc

Monday, September 15, 2014 4:11 PM
  • HardCore,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback. Posts on the forum are never closed but you can indicate that your question/issue has been answered by marking it as such.

John

Monday, September 15, 2014 4:53 PM