none
2010 MS Project Calendar View Bar Colors RRS feed

• Question

• I use 2010 Project Standard and frequently make a master plan from many sub-projects and display them in the Calendar View.  i've been trying to find a way to apply different colors to task bars in the Calendar view for different sub-projects without doing it manually.  is there a trick i'm missing?
    Wednesday, February 8, 2012 2:18 PM

Answers

• No, sorry -- you're not.  You can apply coloring to bars automatically through the Bar Styles command (Format Tab - Bar Styles) but the choices of bar styles is very limited.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 2:24 PM

All replies

• No, sorry -- you're not.  You can apply coloring to bars automatically through the Bar Styles command (Format Tab - Bar Styles) but the choices of bar styles is very limited.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 2:24 PM
  • As Julie says the format of bars in calandar is very limited - the only way that I can see of doing something even close is to allow you to highlight one project at a time.  Set up a filter with the criteria that you want (in this case project name) and then apply this filter to the calandar view as a high light.  You could make this more "user freindly" by setting the filter up to ask the question "which project do you want to highlight..?" however this only allows one differentiating criteria (or criteria set) to be applied at once.

If you wanted to be able to always see where something has come from you could put the project name into every task by either telling calendar to show the project filed in the bar (bar styles, chose normal and then add "project" to the bar) or by setting up a new text field to show what ever you want on the bar (be it a shortened version of the project name or some concatination of the project name, task name etc) and then display this on the bar.

Hope this helps a little

Miles

Thursday, February 9, 2012 1:24 PM