none
Running Script or Command Line during Task sequence gives access denied...? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been having a great deal of difficulty executing a simple script or command line during my task sequence.  I am trying to run the cscript.exe %SCRIPTROOT%\LTISuspend.wsf script (and I have also just tried the command line 'pause') 

After looking up the error and comparing it with what I've seen in the logs, it would appear that for whatever reason, it thinks I do not have permission to run the task.  This completely baffles me as it is the only step in the entire automation that seems to have a problem - everything else has been running seamlessly. 

I have tried using the checkbox to 'run this step as the following account' to see if some other credentials will work, but I've come up empty so far.

P.S.  I know from reading this question for up to 5-6 years back that there is bound to be someone asking "Why are you pausing the TS, you should be fully automating!"  I am working towards that, and making great progress, but as I grow, I still have production work to get out :)

P.P.S.  I neglected to hit "submit" on this and I think I have the answer.  I had to check "Run this step as the following account" and use localhost\administrator along with the password I defined in unattend.  It was the 'localhost' nomenclature that had me stumped.

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 2:07 PM

All replies

• I have almost never used the "run this step as the following account".

I wouldn't muck with it. 

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Thursday, December 7, 2017 4:32 AM
  • Besides, as MDT runs task sequence steps as built-in admin account, there shouldn't be any permission issues unless there are GPOs involved which are messing around. Assuming you are building a ref image (indicated by your decision to suspend TS), this should not be the case though. Any chance to get a peak at your BDD.log?

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Thursday, December 7, 2017 6:09 AM
  • P.P.S.  I neglected to hit "submit" on this and I think I have the answer.  I had to check "Run this step as the following account" and use localhost\administrator along with the password I defined in unattend.  It was the 'localhost' nomenclature that had me stumped.

You do not need to modify the unattend file to configure your administrator password with MDT.  Can you upload your BDD.log?
    Thursday, December 7, 2017 2:55 PM