none
DPM Disk/SAN Allocation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am taking over a DPM configuration in my new job but I'm just wondering how you specify which SAN to it uses.  We have our DPM server with two SAN's attached.

Each SAN is 60TB in total, I can see that DPM replica's are being put on one of the disks in Windows Disk Management. (DISK 0).  But how did it decide that it was using that particular SAN/Disk config and not the other one.  (DISK 1). 

(It's setup wrong anyway because Windows can only see 16TB, I believe it should have been formatted with 16k cluster to get the full 60TB available to Windows/DPM)  -anyone know if I can just format the unallocated 50TB on DISK 0 and make this available to DPM?

Anyway is there any type of configuration to tell DPM where to store Backups?

There is a MegaRAID Storage Manager but this doesn't integrate with DPM, it just manages the SAN disks.

Thanks in Advance.  (P.S I'm quite new to SAN configurations and DPM)

Tom

Friday, October 4, 2013 12:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

DPM will use any physical disks added to the DPM Storage pool.  If you have 2 or more disks in the storage pool, DPM will use them in such a way that the replica volume is created on one disk and the recovery point volume on a different disk.  You can see what data sources are on each disk by selecting the disk in the DPM Storage pool.

Windows has a 2TB physical disk limit for MBR disks, the disk needs to be converted to GPT before adding it to the storage pool if it is over 2TB.   Windows will not limit the size to 16TB, it sounds like the SAN is not presenting the correct size to Windows.  Work with the storage vendor to resolve that.

The Cluster size only comes into play when creating volumes - an NTFS volume using 4K cluster size has a volume size limit of 16TB. DPM always formats volumes using 4K - so if you had to protect a greater than 16TB volume, you would need select a subset of the data on the protected server to protect, then choose do manual initial replica, reformat the replica using 8K cluster size before running the CC to bring over the data, then extend the replica and select the rest of the data to protect on the protected volume.  

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, October 4, 2013 8:28 PM