none
Unexpected Behavior - Project 2010/2013 Task Calendars RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am almost afraid to ask this question as I see it has never been officially answered in the past.  I am not looking for workaround but really for resolution/explanation or confirmation that this is in fact a bug.   Here is the deal:

First let me give you logistics: 

I am using Project Professional 2010 (and have tested in Project Professional 2013)

I have a scenario where we have a 3 day 24 hour shutdown in the middle of a project that certain people must work.  Each person works different shifts during the shutdown.  These shutdowns must be accounted for in the project as work is being performed on the tasks.  This helps with forecasting and capturing how much time is spent on each shut.

Here is where my problem lies…

When trying to schedule the shutdown, I notice weird behavior.  To my knowledge, when you use a task calendar it should override the project calendar for that task only.   With that being said, if I apply a 24 hour calendar to the task, my default times for the task should honor the 24 hour calendar.   Also, if I have three people working three different shifts during that 24/7 calendar, Project should honor my resources calendars as well, correct?

So let me show you what is occurring and I am hoping that someone will give me that AHA! Moment.

Step One: 

I change Kim’s working time to 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. (we purposely are not including lunch/breaks for this exercise)

I change Bob’s working time to 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.

Steve’s calendar will stay the same 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Step 2:

I create a 3 day fixed duration task, add the 24 hour calendar and add the resources to the task.   The assumption is that Kim and Bob will have 12 hours of work each day and that Steve will have 8 hours each day.   NOT

Unexpected behavior occurs –

The Fixed Duration task is increased AND this task is not Effort Driven so why is it not calculating based on the Fixed duration and Resource Calendars provided?   My calendar options for this project should not matter because I am only trying to modify the behavior of one task, not the entire project.

I was given the workaround to increase the duration to 9 days and even then the behavior is still not correct as the system is still not recognizing Kim’s calendar:

I have had three people try this out in their MS Project clients and they receive similar results.  Is this a bug???

Neicy

• Edited by Neicy M Tuesday, July 8, 2014 12:20 PM
    Tuesday, July 8, 2014 12:18 PM

All replies

• In step 2 you note a 3-day fixed duration task.  Assuming you are using the standard definition of "day" in Project (8 hours) - the task is scheduled for 3 working days - starting on Monday at 08:00 and ending on Wednesday at 17:00.  When you assign the 24 hours task calendar - the task dates shift from starting Monday at 08:00 and ending Monday at 20:00.

When I assigned Kim, Bob, and Steve I see the following:

Note that I did not chose the option "scheduling ignores resource calendars" when I assigned the task calendar.  The task is also not effort driven and is autoscheduled.

How many hours of work should it be for each resource?  Do you have SP-2 applied to Project 2010 and SP-1 applied to Project 2013?

I get the same answer in both Project 2010 (SP-2) and Project 2013 (SP-1).
    Tuesday, July 8, 2014 2:44 PM