none
Assignment Owner in Microsoft Project Professional in case the task is distibuted to more tha one resource. RRS feed

• Question

• If a single task is assigned to multiple resources, wherein the total is equal 100 percent, for example, the resources are three, and i assigned it like this 25 %, 25 %, 50%, who should be the default assignment owner. I am not asking about the default assignment owner in Project Web App but Project Professional 2010. I am not able to set the assignment owner as only one person. What is the best practice here. And the issue is the resources are not able to view the task and i am sure this is happening because the assignment owner cell in mspp shows the name of only one task.

Friday, October 18, 2013 4:35 AM

Answers

• Hi,

your first question: Project is designed to assign multiple resources to the same task. People not very experienced may prefer not to do so, since there are some additional parameters like "effort driven", which can be confusing without a good training.

It is not ok, that you don't see all names of assigned resources in assignment owner column. But that may be related to patch level. Just verify in Task Information dialog or a usage view, if assignment owner is the same for all assignments. I don't think so.

By default, assignment owner is "Default assignment owner" as defined on resource level in Resource Center - Edit resource. When you create a new resource, you will see that Default Assigmnet Owner is set to resource. But this Default Assignment Owner can be changed there. And it will be used as assignment owner when assigning a resource to a task. If you want your resources to see their assignmenst on Tasks page, Default Assignemnt Owner defined in Resource Center should be the same as resource and should also not be modified in project plan after assigning resource to a task.

Regards
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by MSP-Learner Friday, November 8, 2013 5:37 AM
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 3:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I am not able to reproduce, what you describe. In Assignment Owner column in Gantt view, I see all names, separated by list separator. In Information dialog on tab Resources, I see Assignment Owner for each resource. The same for Task and Resource Usage view.

Can you check? If assignment owner is resource, check Booking Type in Resource - Add Resources - Build team from Enterprise. If it is set to Proposed, users will not see their assignments.

Just let us know, what you see in Information dialog or usage views.

Regards
    Barbara

Friday, October 18, 2013 8:02 AM
  • still checking please wait..

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 4:42 AM
  • I am working on an issue which is exactly what the topic was started as.
    a person has structured a work plan in such a way that few of the tasks are assigned to more than four people.
    I want to know what are the things that need to be taken into consideration while doing this.

I personally feel this is inviting problems if we assign one certain task to more than one resource.
    And if so who should be the assignment owner.
    All the people whom the task is assigned to or only one person.
    Where do i check which person will do how much of that particular task?

Thursday, November 7, 2013 8:11 AM
  • Hi,

I don't understand why your are taking so much care for assignment owner. By default, assignment owner is the same as resource. Moreover, assignment owner is that person, who can see tasks on tasks page. If you want your users to report status, you should keep resource as assignment owner.

For your second question: If you apply Task Usage view, you will see all assignments with there individual work and duration.

Does that help?
    Barbara

Thursday, November 7, 2013 8:46 AM
  • Because the person whom i am talking about has shown me a plan, in which the task are assigned to 4 resources, which can be checked in the column "Resource" but the "Assignment Owner" column is not showing all the names which are appearing in "Resource" column. Therefore i would like to know do we need to ensure the names appearing in "Resource" and "Assignment Owner" columns. As I understand default assignment owner necessarily has to be the person who the task has been assigned to. However in hosted environments at times things do get changed and we manually have to correct it. The same goes with the column "Assignment Owner" in Microsoft Project Professional 2010 software. It so happens that the values in the same row, in the columns "Assignment Owner" and "Resources" are different. I just wanted to know can we fix it doing something or we need to inspact each and every row and correct it manually

Thursday, November 7, 2013 9:06 AM
  • Hi,

OK, I see. You can check assignement owner either by clicking on task to see assignment owners in Information dialog on tab Resources or by applying an usage view and adding column Assignment Owner.

Is it really different? If not, I am interested in your current patch level, since I am not able to reproduce with my patch level.

The assignment owner don't have to be resource necessarily. But it is the most common scenario. Most of the time, you assign a resource and want to see this person to see assignment on Tasks page. (There are situations, when some companies have the assignment owner to be someone different, e.g. when status updates are performed by someone else).

Regards
    Barbara

Thursday, November 7, 2013 9:14 AM
  • Hi.

My question is not answered.

Is this the right practice to assign one task to more than one person.

Is this ok if the same task is assigned to 4 people but the assignment owner box shows only one name.

Did you suggest in your post, ideally the assignment owner and resource name should automatically be the same as it should be done by the tool itself or you said this does not matter much.

Thursday, November 7, 2013 10:08 AM
  • Hi,

your first question: Project is designed to assign multiple resources to the same task. People not very experienced may prefer not to do so, since there are some additional parameters like "effort driven", which can be confusing without a good training.

It is not ok, that you don't see all names of assigned resources in assignment owner column. But that may be related to patch level. Just verify in Task Information dialog or a usage view, if assignment owner is the same for all assignments. I don't think so.

By default, assignment owner is "Default assignment owner" as defined on resource level in Resource Center - Edit resource. When you create a new resource, you will see that Default Assigmnet Owner is set to resource. But this Default Assignment Owner can be changed there. And it will be used as assignment owner when assigning a resource to a task. If you want your resources to see their assignmenst on Tasks page, Default Assignemnt Owner defined in Resource Center should be the same as resource and should also not be modified in project plan after assigning resource to a task.

Regards
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by MSP-Learner Friday, November 8, 2013 5:37 AM
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 3:05 PM
  • Thank you very much..

Sorry for troubling you so much..

But I am very happy that I got the information that I was looking for.

Thanks again.. :)

Friday, November 8, 2013 5:37 AM