Why Outlook Conversation History still works even I didn't enable Archiving Policy? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not going to disable the Outlook Conversation History function. I just wonder why it works even I didn't enable the Archiving Policy.

In Skype for Business Server. I've below settings in "Monitoring and Archiving":

1. Archiving Policy - Global. Both Archive internal/external communications were uncheck

2. Archiving Configuration - Global. Set to Disable archiving

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 5:59 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Conversation history in Outlook is working out of the box.

The archiving you refer to is another function/role for SFB server. This has to be configured and enabled manually.

Difference is that the Archiving you are referring to are stored in a database on SFB environment. THe conversation history is stored in users mailbox.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Off2work

• Edited by Off2work Tuesday, October 25, 2016 7:53 AM Edit
    • Proposed as answer by Liinus Tuesday, October 25, 2016 11:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alice-Wang Sunday, November 6, 2016 3:51 AM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2016 7:53 AM
  • Agree with others

Skype for Business lets you find previous instant messaging (IM) conversations that is the history of your IMs 
    and calls by integrating with Microsoft Exchange & Outlook. 

In order to use this feature all you have to do is, On your Skype for Business client, click on Option and then click 
    Personal.
    Under Personal Information manager, we need to check if the options 
    Save IM Conversations in my email Conversation History folder 
    Save call logs in my email Conversation History folder 

And the information can be looked under ‘Conversation History’ folder in Outlook or under in the SFB
    Client.

Linus || Please mark posts as answers/helpful if it answers your question.

• Proposed as answer by Liinus Wednesday, October 26, 2016 5:34 AM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2016 11:29 AM
  • Hi DHLao,

Welcome to post in our forum.

As a supplement, the data from conversation history in outlook is stored in Exchange mailbox.

For Lync Archiving server, it archives instant messaging (IM) and conferencing (meeting) communications, the data will be stored in Lync archiving server, not in Exchange mailbox.

If you use Microsoft Exchange integration for all users in your deployment, you don’t need to configure Skype for Business Server archiving policies for your users. Instead, you configure Exchange In-Place Hold policies to support archiving for users homed on Exchange, with their mailboxes put on In-Place Hold.

If you do not use Microsoft Exchange integration for all users in your deployment, you need to add Skype for Business Server archiving databases (SQL Server databases) to your topology, publish the updated topology, and then configure archiving policies and settings for your users. You can deploy archiving databases at the same time that you deploy your initial topology or after you have deployed at least one Front End pool or Standard Edition Server.

Hope this reply helpful to you.

Alice Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Monday, October 31, 2016 10:07 AM
    Wednesday, October 26, 2016 3:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Conversation history in Outlook is working out of the box.

The archiving you refer to is another function/role for SFB server. This has to be configured and enabled manually.

Difference is that the Archiving you are referring to are stored in a database on SFB environment. THe conversation history is stored in users mailbox.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Off2work

• Edited by Off2work Tuesday, October 25, 2016 7:53 AM Edit
    • Proposed as answer by Liinus Tuesday, October 25, 2016 11:26 AM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2016 7:53 AM
  • Hello

conversation history and archiving are two different thing to disable conversation history you need to disable the feature on lync client policy.

Set-CsClientPolicy -Identity "your client policy" -DisableSavingIM:$true

DisableSavingIM When set to true, the options for saving an instant message session are removed from the menu bar in the Skype for Business Conversation window. When set to false, these options are available in the Conversation window.

• Proposed as answer by GUIz49 Tuesday, October 25, 2016 8:44 AM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2016 8:44 AM
  • Agree with others

Skype for Business lets you find previous instant messaging (IM) conversations that is the history of your IMs 
    and calls by integrating with Microsoft Exchange & Outlook. 

In order to use this feature all you have to do is, On your Skype for Business client, click on Option and then click 
    Personal.
    Under Personal Information manager, we need to check if the options 
    Save IM Conversations in my email Conversation History folder 
    Save call logs in my email Conversation History folder 

And the information can be looked under ‘Conversation History’ folder in Outlook or under in the SFB
    Client.

Linus || Please mark posts as answers/helpful if it answers your question.

• Proposed as answer by Liinus Wednesday, October 26, 2016 5:34 AM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2016 11:29 AM
  • Hi DHLao,

Welcome to post in our forum.

As a supplement, the data from conversation history in outlook is stored in Exchange mailbox.

For Lync Archiving server, it archives instant messaging (IM) and conferencing (meeting) communications, the data will be stored in Lync archiving server, not in Exchange mailbox.

If you use Microsoft Exchange integration for all users in your deployment, you don’t need to configure Skype for Business Server archiving policies for your users. Instead, you configure Exchange In-Place Hold policies to support archiving for users homed on Exchange, with their mailboxes put on In-Place Hold.

If you do not use Microsoft Exchange integration for all users in your deployment, you need to add Skype for Business Server archiving databases (SQL Server databases) to your topology, publish the updated topology, and then configure archiving policies and settings for your users. You can deploy archiving databases at the same time that you deploy your initial topology or after you have deployed at least one Front End pool or Standard Edition Server.

Hope this reply helpful to you.

Alice Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Monday, October 31, 2016 10:07 AM
    Wednesday, October 26, 2016 3:03 AM