Win7 Pro x64 Random Freezes 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• I completed a clean install of Win7 Pro x64 on Intel DX58SO/i7-920 w/6GB DDR3 memory three weeks ago. I've loaded all updates for the os and hardware. I'm running ESET Smart Security 5 for Internet Security. About ten days after the install, I had a series of random freezes for a day or two. Then they stopped. The system would not respond to mouse or keyboard input and there was no disk activity indicated by the front panel LED. I could only do a hard restart by depressing the reset switch or depressing the power switch for four seconds. I checked the Windows system logs and don't see any warnings or errors prior to the freeze other than a System Level Warning for Event ID 1014, DNS Client Event (Name resolution for the name dns.msftncsi.com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded).

The only other programs loaded on this machine are MS Office 2007 and Adobe Acrobat 9. Both programs are full updated.

I've loaded the hotfix described in Article ID: 2664888, Computer stops responding when you run an application that uses the Windows Filtering Platform API in Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008, or Windows Vista. The hotfix was loaded at about 10am today and the system froze again at 4pm.

Is there a way to troubleshoot this type of error or bug? The system log files don't offer much information.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Regards

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 8:38 PM

Answers

• Hi mgntml,

for future reference, it is always best to try one thing at a time until you resolve the issue, this way you know which change made the difference :)

Many hangs in Windows these days are attributed to 3rd party software and drivers, or hardware issues. It is not as common to find the issue being caused Windows itself. Always look to the providers website for updated drivers, if you are also running Win7 x64 then you may find it difficult to find the correct drivers for older hardware. You can try the 32bit version (x86) or you can try the older XP drivers.

Many services that are automatically started by the OS, under a default installation, will be enabled to allow common usage for a wide audience. If you are confident in disabling these services you will find some performance gains (corporations do this to harden security also, the less services running the less vulnerable the system is).

Setting to manual is safer than disabled, if the system needs the service it can start it, if disabled it can not. Always ensure you have a good backup before changing these settings tough.

Hope this helps.
    Regards, Richard

• Proposed as answer by Kim Zhou Thursday, May 3, 2012 1:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, May 3, 2012 2:34 AM
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 11:57 PM

All replies

• I just started getting the same issue. Can't repair Win 7 as services packs prevent. About to try a system restore.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 3:15 AM
  • Hi,

Please try to disable the security program (ESET Smart Security 5) temporarily.

If the issue persists, please boot in Safe Mode to test the issue.

Kim Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, April 12, 2012 9:08 AM
  • Thank you for the reply Kim,

The issue is too random to check by disabling ESET Smart Security 5. I would have to disable my system protection for days to see if it freezes due to ESET. Presently, I haven't had a freeze for two days. When the system freezes, it will do so several times over a period of several hours and then appear to stop.

I've noticed a freeze when the system was left on for several hours unattended. I came back, the screen saver was up and the system was frozen. I had to depress the reset switch to get the system restarted.

Is there a way to troubleshoot this issue to determine the actual cause or conflict?

Regards

Thursday, April 12, 2012 6:53 PM
  • Hi,

If the issue does not appear anymore after disabling ESET, the main cause should be related to ESET.

Kim Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Friday, April 13, 2012 9:36 AM
  • I don't think ESET is the problem, because it appears the Article ID: 2664888 hotfix is a preliminary solution for a bug in the Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) API. ESET may not be the only program that uses the WFP. The system works fine most of the time. It appears to be triggered when some windows services become active.

Do you know of a way to troubleshoot this issue? Do you know the status of the final approved version of the hotfix?

Regards

Friday, April 13, 2012 1:50 PM
  • First steps of troubleshooting this problem is always to look at reliability monitor for details of any application or other system issues.

My next step would be to run perfmon to watch for the activity occuring and capture this data to the logfile right up to the point of failure. This is then available for analysis afterwards to see which processes were active prior to the problem period.

I suggest setting up perfmon to capture data on 15 second basis, set to a limit of 500Mb circular log file. You should capture the following complete objects:

Process
    Processor
    Network
    Logical Disk
    Memory

See this article for further assistance in reviewing the output:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/1513.the-microsoft-pfe-performance-guide-perfguide-start-here.aspx

I'd be happy to take a look if you can get a capture started before the issue occurs.

Sunday, April 15, 2012 3:32 PM
  • Thank you for the reply. Although I haven't used perfmon before, it's what I imagined needed to be done to capture the fault or bug. I'll read up on perfmon and setup to monitor the system. I'll post again when I get everything setup. Thank you again for your assistance.

Regards

Monday, April 16, 2012 10:08 PM
  • I have had the same issue with my Win7 environment. It seems to have stopped but I did a lot of configuration changes including stopping some unnecessary services that seemed uneccessary for how I use the system. One other issue that seemed to make a difference was the removal of some hardware that always seemed to get a mention in some application service warnings. The really sad part is I cannot say for certain that it was one or the other (or both) that made the difference.

The two items that I discovered that did get my focus were the Windows Media Sharing service (why do I need this?) and my Logitech G15 Gaming keyboard and associated software. My system has hung only once since and that was when I replugged a logitech MX518 mouse in. I love the logitech stuff but I have less issue with my system since I shifted those to an XP system. I decided that Logitech is now being targetted by 'the boss' so now the O/S hiccups when it installs a logitech driver.

I am no expert and have difficulty understanding the purpose of all the services that get started by the OS. But there sure seem to be a lot of them in my list now that are disabled or set to start manually and I have not noticed any loss of functionality or issue as a consequence (other than my system is more responsive).

Regards and good luck to any others that struggle with the frustration of the hangs.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 11:42 PM
  • Hi mgntml,

for future reference, it is always best to try one thing at a time until you resolve the issue, this way you know which change made the difference :)

Many hangs in Windows these days are attributed to 3rd party software and drivers, or hardware issues. It is not as common to find the issue being caused Windows itself. Always look to the providers website for updated drivers, if you are also running Win7 x64 then you may find it difficult to find the correct drivers for older hardware. You can try the 32bit version (x86) or you can try the older XP drivers.

Many services that are automatically started by the OS, under a default installation, will be enabled to allow common usage for a wide audience. If you are confident in disabling these services you will find some performance gains (corporations do this to harden security also, the less services running the less vulnerable the system is).

Setting to manual is safer than disabled, if the system needs the service it can start it, if disabled it can not. Always ensure you have a good backup before changing these settings tough.

Hope this helps.
    Regards, Richard

• Proposed as answer by Kim Zhou Thursday, May 3, 2012 1:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, May 3, 2012 2:34 AM
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 11:57 PM