Usage of RDS RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Friends,

Here I wanted to know about the differences of Standalone Client and RDS Client. I am using App-V v5.1 environment. The Problem is App-V v5.1 Standalone Client installer is installing successfully on Windows 2012 R2 Server Standard machine and able to publish the application. But I have another OS in Windows 2012 R2 Enterprise where I am not able to Install the standalone client installer. In this Enterprise OS, I am able to Install RDS Client Installer successfully but not able to publishing the application.

1. Windows 2012 R2 Standard -> Standalone Client -> Able to Publish App-V package

1.1. Here I am not able to install RDS Client installer

2. Windows 2012 R2 EnterPrise -> RDS Client -> Not able to Publish App-V Package

2.1. Here I am not able to install Standalone Client installer

Can you please help me on root cause of this differences. 

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 10:08 AM

All replies

• The RDS Client is needed, as the Name implies, for the Installation on Server Systems which contains the Remote Desktop Services Role.

Can you share some error messages?

Simon Dettling | msitproblog.com | @SimonDettling

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 11:15 AM
  • RDS client is applicable to machines where Remote desktop Services role is enabled. You cannot install Stand alone on these machines.

And Vice versa holds good too. You cannot install RDS client on a machine where this role is not enabled.

Kiranmayi

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 6:09 PM
  • Thanks for the detailed Info. But Why I am not able to Publish the application on RDS client machine. Please clarify me.
    Thursday, October 20, 2016 11:45 AM
  • Sorry Here I am not able to share the screen. But the Error message as generic as 'App-V RDS client not supported on the machine. Please use another setup to Install'. 
    Thursday, October 20, 2016 11:46 AM
  • On that machine since Remote Desktop services role is not installed, you have to install WD client.

Once that is done you can stream packages.

Kiranmayi

Thursday, October 20, 2016 5:12 PM
  • I am able to get your points. But Here is doubt is, Why I am not able to publish the app on RDS client machine.

-> Windows 2012 R2 -> App-V 5.1 RDS client installed -> Unable to Publish App.

Can you please clarify on this. 

Friday, October 21, 2016 1:13 PM
  • Can you see if there is anything logged in Event viewer?

Applications and Services Logs ->Microsoft -> AppV -> Client

Any error that is listed here can give me further info of what is happening.

Kiranmayi

Saturday, October 22, 2016 12:37 AM
  • Kindly share the error message and log so that we can help you further.

If published via Powershell, what error you see?

(Please click on Vote as Helpful and/or Mark as Answer, if it has helped you.)

MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

app2pack.blogspot.com: app2pack.blogspot.com

Monday, October 24, 2016 7:50 AM