none
Auto Schedule Not Matching Durations with Actual Dates RRS feed

• Question

• I am finding that when I enter actual dates with auto schedule turned on, the durations are not accurate that I had previously entered. For example, a one week duration activity that actually starts 2 weeks early should be auto scheduled to finish two weeks early, however, auto schedule is keeping the same end date regardless of the early actual start.

Please advise.  Thank you!!

Friday, February 2, 2018 4:01 PM

All replies

• There are two things I would check

1. Is there a dependency on the task that is linked to the finish date?

2. What is the %complete on the task BEFORE you reschedule the start date?

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Friday, February 2, 2018 4:14 PM
  • Hmm. You are not being really crystal clear about what you are doing.

Let's assume that your task is auto scheduled, not manually scheduled. You can check this by having the task mode column visible, as in the default entry table.

Assume also that auto calculation after each edit is turned on in file options etc. This is the default and will only be turned off if you turned it off. There is no reason that I can think of to turn it off, but in some rare situations it might be something to do.

Assume that the task has no date constraints, and is set to asap.

While we are at it, assume that the task has no predecessors, and no resources assigned.

Set up one task like this to test. The scheduled start date will be the same as the start date of the project.

Where are you entering what you say is the actual start date?

Are you typing the date into the start field in the entry table? This is not the actual start. This is the scheduled start. It will not become the actual start until you type (or otherwise input) in a date into the actual start field.

Or are you typing the date into the actual start field in the tracking table? This is the actual start date.
    Whatever the actual start date, the duration will not be changed and the finish date will change.

Set it up. Try it. Let us know. A screenshot would help.

Any help?

Friday, February 2, 2018 11:10 PM