none
Sharepoint updates and CU for SharePoint 2013 versus for SharePoint 2016

Question

• I have worked on my sharepoint 2013 on-premise servers, and i know the following about the sharepoint updates for SP 2013:-

1. Each months Microsoft release a full CUs which contain security and non-security updates.

2. we can install separate sharepoint security updates without the need to install the full CUs.

3. we have installed full CUs on many occasion since they provide fixes to problems we have faced.

4. after installing a single SharePoint security update or full CUs, we always run the product configuration wizard.

5. some security updates will increment the farm build number ((get-spfarm).buildversion).

now today i am going to start a new sharepoint 2016 on-premise and it have the following farm build number :-

which means that the server is currently on RTM.

so i am planning to install the latest update February 2017 as mentioned on this link http://www.toddklindt.com/blog/Builds/SharePoint-2016-Builds.aspx

so can anyone advice on the below questions:-

1. Can i directly install the February 2017 update ? keeping in mind that currently i am on RTM?

2. If the answer to question 1 is Yes,  then which update i need to install "February 2017 Patch (Language Independent Files)" OR "February 2017 Patch (Language Dependent Files)" ??

3. if i successfully update my SP 2016 to the latest version 16.0.4498.1002, then will managing future updates be similar to the above 5 points which are valid for SP 2013 farm?? or in SP 216 things are different compared to sharepoint 2013 ??

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 2:21 PM

All replies

• 1) Yes you can.

2) Both (always both). Also, all PUs released for 2016 will not just be security fixes. If you see one labeled as such (Jan 2017 I believe), it will also be the standard PU rollup.

3) They're basically the same, except using the Farm Build Number is not an accurate method of figuring out what is installed. You can use this script instead.

There are a couple of differences:

1) Patching is faster. You no longer *have* to stop services on your own prior to patching. The patches are intelligent and perform that for you

2) It's possible to use Zero Downtime Patching should you have 2 servers for reach role.

3) As stated above, security patches are no longer separate, they're just part of the PU.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 2:44 PM
  • 1) Yes you can.

2) Both (always both). Also, all PUs released for 2016 will not just be security fixes. If you see one labeled as such (Jan 2017 I believe), it will also be the standard PU rollup.

3) They're basically the same, except using the Farm Build Number is not an accurate method of figuring out what is installed. You can use this script instead.

There are a couple of differences:

1) Patching is faster. You no longer *have* to stop services on your own prior to patching. The patches are intelligent and perform that for you

2) It's possible to use Zero Downtime Patching should you have 2 servers for reach role.

3) As stated above, security patches are no longer separate, they're just part of the PU.

Trevor Seward

thanks for the reply.

so you mean i need to install both updates ? and should i install one before the other ? and should i run the product configuration after installing each update separately  ?

3) They're basically the same, except using the Farm Build Number is not an accurate method of figuring out what is installed. You can use thisscript instead.

so this is the case for 2013 and 2016 ..

so on 2016 when do not have the ability to install only security updates? and what about CUs (cumulative updates) are these still available ? as you mentioned PU (public updates) ??

• Edited by johnjohn11 Tuesday, March 14, 2017 2:57 PM
    Tuesday, March 14, 2017 2:56 PM
  • Yes, you need both. I usually install sts-x-none first. Sts-x-none almost always requires a reboot, and I ignore it, then install wssloc, then reboot.

In 2016, no there are no separate security updates. And there is no 'CU', it's all PUs, though functionality they're the same.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 3:05 PM
  • Yes, you need both. I usually install sts-x-none first. Sts-x-none almost always requires a reboot, and I ignore it, then install wssloc, then reboot.

In 2016, no there are no separate security updates. And there is no 'CU', it's all PUs, though functionality they're the same.

Trevor Seward

so now i will download two files :-

- STS2016-KB...exe

- WSSloc2016-KB......exe

so i have to run the STS one first, rebot then install the WSS file ,, and after that i run the SP product configuration wizard ?

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 3:37 PM
  • I run sts, wssloc, then reboot. After the reboot, and with all servers having both patches, run the Config Wizard on each server.

Trevor Seward

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 3:38 PM
  • I run sts, wssloc, then reboot. After the reboot, and with all servers having both patches, run the Config Wizard on each server.

Trevor Seward

currently i only have one server which hosts sharepoint... so i will download both files, then install the sts file first then the wssloc file,, reboot the server, after that will run the product configuration wizard... which should upgrade the farm to the latest version which is 16.0.4498.1002. is this correct ??
    Tuesday, March 14, 2017 4:12 PM
  • More or less. Remember, the farm build number may not match the listed build number for the patches.

Trevor Seward

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 4:13 PM
  • More or less. Remember, the farm build number may not match the listed build number for the patches.

Trevor Seward

Ok i see .. but other than this is my steps valid :-

" currently i only have one server which hosts sharepoint... so i will download both files, then install the sts file first then the wssloc file,, reboot the server, after that will run the product configuration wizard... which should upgrade the farm to the latest version which is 16.0.4498.1002. is this correct ??

"

?

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 4:34 PM