loss of hard drive space after SS install RRS feed

• Question

• I installed SS this morn on my pc... on 1st reboot I was locked out as admin...i read some of this form messages.. with no help... so, I reformated my hard disk...which is a western digital 200 gig.... when i partioned the drive thru Windows XP install disc... my partion is only 137 gig.... i can find no way to delete the 63 gigs that are hidden... I am assuming by my installation of Steady State this morn...

my question is how do i delete that partion so i can reinstall windows on all 200 gigs..

Monday, October 15, 2007 3:00 AM

Answers

• Hi Jsme,

This issue is caused by system limitation instead of SteadyState.

According to Microsoft Knowledge Base, Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional have a limitation of hard disk size: 137 Gigabytes. Meanwhile, many old BIOS versions do not support hard disk lager than 137G. This limitation has been exceeded in Windows XP Service Pack 1 or later and current BIOS versions.

To resolve this kind of issue, the system needs to meet the following requirements:

----------------------

1. Install Windows XP Service Pack 1 or Windows XP Service Pack 2.

2. Upgrade the BIOS to make sure that it exceeds the 137G limitation.

Please contact the manufacturer/vendor of your computer to obtain direct assistance on the BIOS issue.

From the Windows XP end, please access the following link to download and install the latest Service Pack - Windows XP Service Pack 2:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

If you install SP1 or SP2 on Windows XP after installing the hard drive, the hard disk space more than 137G will not be automatically recognized. We will need to partition the unallocated space to make it usable. Here are the detailed steps:

----------------------

1. Click "Start", go to "Run", type in "diskmgmt.msc" and click "OK" to start Disk Management.

2. There will be unallocated space. Please right click the unallocated space and click "Partition".

3. Then, follow the instructions to partition and format the unallocated space.

Then, the additional hard disk space will be useable. As this forum focuses on SteadyState specific issues, if further assistance is needed, this inquiry would best be posted to Windows XP public newsgroup:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other customers who read the newsgroups regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 7:12 AM