Publish to Add/Remove issue RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I have a software package, it's an exe and doesn't have the ability to be deployed silently. So i'm testing publishing it to Add/Remove, so users can install it when they wish. But it's not working as i expected it to.

First of all i had to run wuauclt /detectnow from the command prompt

Then if i log on to the workstation as an administrator i can see the deployed program from Add programs.

But if i log on a standard user they can't see the deployed program. In fact when you go into Add programs it doesn't seem to even really try to search for any programs.

I thought that because an administrator authorised the deploying and publishing of the package to the workstation standard users would be able to install it without having administrator rights.

I must be missing something, as i can't see the point of publishing a package if an administrator still has to go and install it.

Hope someone can help.

Andrew

Friday, September 14, 2007 8:24 AM

Answers

• Andrew,

You are correct, standard users (without local admin permissions on the box) will not see or be able to install applications that are published through Add/Remove Programs. This is a limitation in the "AU agent" and there is no way around it.

What you could try to do if you are 100% sure the application can't be installed silent is to repackage the application to a msi file and the add it as a pckage in SCE.

Björn Axéll MVP - Advisec AB

http://blog.advisec.com

Saturday, September 15, 2007 1:33 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

You’re right that we can use SMS Installer to create customized software packages:

Creating Software Installation Packages with SMS Installer (SMS 2003 Operations Guide)

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sms/sms2003/opsguide/ops_4bsd.mspx?mfr=true

Besides, you may download the Microsoft Windows SDK which includes a tool called Orca. You can download this from here :

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C2B1E300-F358-4523-B479-F53D234CDCCF&displaylang=en

This is free, but you need to know a bit more about windows installer files as you will be directly editing the database tables using this tool.

In addition, there are some third-party applications for MSI packaging.

Hope this helps.

---------------------

Regards,

Eric Zhang

Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 10:42 AM

All replies

• Andrew,

You are correct, standard users (without local admin permissions on the box) will not see or be able to install applications that are published through Add/Remove Programs. This is a limitation in the "AU agent" and there is no way around it.

What you could try to do if you are 100% sure the application can't be installed silent is to repackage the application to a msi file and the add it as a pckage in SCE.

Saturday, September 15, 2007 1:33 PM
  • Hi Bjorn,,

Thanks for the reply.

I was kind of hoping i was wrong. I can't see the point of developing the function of publishing an application to Add/Remove programs, if it can only be installed by an administrator. Surely the idea is that standard users can install it themselves, because as an administrator you have approved them to do so. Why would anyone use this otherwise?

Oh well, not the answer i was hoping for, but nevermind. I'll try repackaging it instead.

Thanks again.

Andrew

Monday, September 17, 2007 8:37 AM
  • Andrew,

I fully agree with you and this was my feedback to the product team during the beta period. Make sure to send them you r feedaback at https://connect.microsoft.com/OpsMgrFeedback.

Monday, September 17, 2007 8:42 AM
  • Cheers Bjorn,

I'll give them my feedback on this.

I have a strong feeling that it is/was possible in SMS, although i never needed to use it. But instead of publishing it in Add Programs, the advertised program would appear in SMS' own applet and from there users could install the published program.

Any ideas on what to use to repackage an exe into an msi file would be gratefully recieved.

Andrew

Monday, September 17, 2007 9:39 AM
  • Hi Andrew,

You’re right that we can use SMS Installer to create customized software packages:

Creating Software Installation Packages with SMS Installer (SMS 2003 Operations Guide)

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sms/sms2003/opsguide/ops_4bsd.mspx?mfr=true

Besides, you may download the Microsoft Windows SDK which includes a tool called Orca. You can download this from here :

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C2B1E300-F358-4523-B479-F53D234CDCCF&displaylang=en

This is free, but you need to know a bit more about windows installer files as you will be directly editing the database tables using this tool.

In addition, there are some third-party applications for MSI packaging.

Hope this helps.

---------------------

Regards,

Eric Zhang

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 10:42 AM
  • Hi Andrew,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

---------------------

Regards,

Eric Zhang

Monday, September 24, 2007 9:05 AM
  • Hi,

and there is NO way for normal users to install the Software from "Add/Remove" without being Admin ?!?

And when this is a fact, why does MS doesn't write that somewhere in the FAQs or TechNet ?

Becaus after two days of searching and looking for AD and GPOs the answer is so clear   as you say ...

Greeting
    Steve
    Friday, September 28, 2007 1:11 PM
  • Hi Steve,

If you choose to publish the software to Add/Remove, it will only be displayed in the Add/Remove only the user who has the administrator right. Personally, I think the normal user without the admin right doesn't need to see the software for security reasons.

But if you deploy a forced software, the not-administrators can also receive and install the software via following steps:

1. Open the Group Policy Management Console, expand the domain which you installed the SCE.

2.    Right click “SCE Managed Computer Group Policy <Management group name>”, click “Edit”.

3.    Click “Computer Configuration” – “Administrative Templates” – “Windows Components” – “Windows Update”.

4.    In the right pane, double click “allow non-administrator to receive update notification”, change the setting to “Enable”.

--------------------

Regards,

Eric Zhang

Monday, October 1, 2007 7:02 AM
  • Hi Eric,

ok i know that because you wrote in an other Threat. Thanks anyway.
    Will there be an update or patch for SCE2007 to do that for normal users?
    Cause it would be a nice feature if an admin allows a normal user to install software from "Add/Remove"
    without admin rights.
    Have a nice Monday

AM 9:45 Germany

Regards,
    Steve
    Monday, October 1, 2007 7:45 AM
  • Hi Steve,

Thanks for your advice.

Personally, I think SCE SP1 should be released in the first half of year 2008. So far, we have not the list of the hotfixes which will be included into SP1.

--------------------

Regards,

Eric Zhang

Monday, October 1, 2007 9:40 AM
  • Hi Eric,

Thanks for the advice. i thought about giving users the ability to see Windows Update notifications. But my only issue is we have a lot of roaming users, and it's not always easy to pin point exactly where they might need a program to be installed.

If i allowed them to see the windows update notification, that would enable the user to be able to install the published program on demand. But on the flip side as we use schedules to install windows updates, if they weren't installed on demand they would be installed at the next scheduled time.

Meaning, as i wouldn't know exactly where a user may need a program i would need to almost blanket publish it to a whole area, and what would happen would be the user would get the ability to install on demand at the workstations they want. But eventually all the other workstations, where the user doesn't require the program, will eventually get the program as they run through their daily update schedule.

Referring back to your comment on not needing to see software in Add/Remove for security reasons. I agree we need to make sure that the deploying of software is done in a relatively secure way. I don't see any need for a standard user to be able to see the Remove programs part for example. Also, if the adding of software needs user intervention, then i would want to be sure that there isn't anything there that a user might cause an issue. But if i as an adminstrator have agreed for an application to be installed to a particular area, and happy with any user intervention if needed to be carried out by a standard user, then i can't see any issue why standard users cannot see published programs.

If i wasn't happy with deploying an application silently remotely, as it stands at the moment i wouldn't deploy it to Add programs if it meant an administrator then had to go to each machine to install it. I would just go to those machines and install the application and miss out the publishing part. So the function to publish to Add/Remove programs for me has no point.

Hope this makes sense

Regards,

Andrew

Monday, October 1, 2007 11:57 AM
  • Hi Andrew,

that is exactly what i mean but i couldn't describe whats on my mind cause my english isn't very good
    Thank you for that !
    Monday, October 1, 2007 12:28 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

For your specific scenario, I’d like to suggest you create a new computer group which contains the computer that the roaming user will use.

Deploy the software to this new group (not publish to “Add/Remove”),  and allow non-administrators to receive the update notification as I mentioned in my previous reply.

Thanks.

--------------------

Regards,

Eric Zhang

Tuesday, October 2, 2007 9:23 AM
  • Hi Eric!

I would like to have a comment on this: many times we have a group of people, who need a specific software, but there is no sense to create a group for them in sce. Sometimes a dozen of people need a program but they are not in the same group. The add or remove function would be great but we use scheduled install so every users would get that specific program but thats not our goal. Any idea would be great!

Dave
    fdavid
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 8:35 AM