Unable to restore the SoftDeleted mailbox in O365 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am creating a Windows Form with below function to restore the O365 soft deleted mailbox to a new created shared mailbox. Here's the function details:

function Restore {
        $ResignedEmail = $ResignedInput.Text
        $ResignedStillExist = Get-Mailbox -Filter {UserPrincipalName -eq $ResignedEmail} -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
              if($ResignedStillExist -eq $null){
                    $ResultOutput.Text = echo "Mailbox $ResignedEmail is not exist, can continue.`r`n"
    		$ResignedGUID = Get-Mailbox -SoftDeletedMailbox -Identity $ResignedEmail | select Guid
    		$ResignedMailboxName = Get-Mailbox -SoftDeletedMailbox -Identity $ResignedEmail | select DisplayName 
    		$ResingedMailboxAlias = Get-Mailbox -SoftDeletedMailbox -Identity $ResignedEmail | select Alias
    		$NewMailboxAlias = ($ResingedMailboxAlias).Alias -replace '\s','' #Remove the space in Alias
    		$NewMailboxName = ($ResignedMailboxName).DisplayName + "_Restored"
    		$NewMailboxEmail = $ResignedInput.Text
    			New-Mailbox -Name $NewMailboxName -Alias $NewMailboxAlias -Shared -PrimarySmtpAddress $NewMailboxEmail
    		$NewMailboxGUID = Get-Mailbox -Identity $NewMailboxName | select GUID
    			if ($NewMailboxGUID -eq $null) {
    				$ResultOutput.Text = echo "Shared mailbox cannot be created"
    			        }
    			else {
    				New-MailboxRestoreRequest -SourceMailbox $ResignedGUID -TargetMailbox $NewMailboxGUID -AllowLegacyDNMismatch
    				$ResultOutput.Text += echo "Resigned Staff mailbox has been restored."
    				$ForwardToEmail = $ForwardToInput.Text
    				Set-Mailbox $NewMailboxName -ForwardingAddress $ForwardToEmail -DeliverToMailboxAndForward $True
    				$ResultOutput.Text += echo "Email forwarding has been done."
    			        }	
    			}
    	else {
    	$ResultOutput.Text = echo "$ResignedEmail is still exist, no actions taken. Please wait for the mailbox been removed.`r`n"	
    	}
    }

However, once I run it and the below errors occurs:

Cannot process argument transformation on parameter 'TargetMailbox'. Cannot convert value
    "@{MailboxGuid=c0xxxx-ae13-46fe-86dd-5c067xxxxxf4}" to type
    "Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.Tasks.MailboxLocationIdParameter". Error: "Cannot convert hashtable to an object of
    the following type: Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.Tasks.MailboxLocationIdParameter. Hashtable-to-Object conversion
    is not supported in restricted language mode or a Data section."
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (:) [New-MailboxRestoreRequest], ParameterBindin...mationException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentTransformationError,New-MailboxRestoreRequest
        + PSComputerName        : ps.outlook.com

Cannot process argument transformation on parameter 'SourceMailbox'. Cannot convert the "3f7e91a-2bad-0433-fd04-e2ae8e83de24" value of type "System.Guid" to type "Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.Tasks.MailboxLocationIdParameter".
         + CategoryInfo            : InvalidData: (:) [New-MailboxResotreRequest], ParameterBindin...mationException
         + FullyQulifiedErrorId  : ParameterArgumentTransformationError,New-MailboxRestoreRequest
         + PSComputerName   : outlook.office365.com

I've tried to change the below script

$NewMailboxGUID = Get-Mailbox -Identity $NewMailboxName | select GUID

to be:

$NewMailboxGUID = Get-Mailbox -Identity $NewMailboxName | select ExchangeGUID

or to be:

$NewMailboxGUID = Get-MailboxLocation -Identity $NewMailboxName | select MailboxGuid

But all get the similar errors back.

Do you have any idea how can I fix this to let the function works? Thanks a lot!

Wednesday, March 13, 2019 2:20 AM

All replies

• Hi Lavenie,

According to the code you provided, your issue is more related about PowerShell. And this forum is discussing and asking questions about the Windows Form and ClickOnce. I will move this thread to corresponding forum: Windows PowerShell.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Kyle

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 13, 2019 7:39 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your question.

You can try this.

$NewMailboxGUID = (Get-MailboxLocation -Identity $NewMailboxName).GUID

Best regards,

Lee

Just do it.

Wednesday, March 13, 2019 7:54 AM
  • Hi Lee,

Thanks for your help!!

however, after I changed the script as above, the Form displayed "Shared mailbox cannot be created", which means it triggered $NewMailboxGuid is null.

}

And if I changed as below,

$NewMailboxGUID = (Get-MailboxLocation -Identity $NewMailboxName).MailboxGUID
    	            $ResultOutput.Text = echo "Shared mailbox cannot be created" }

The error becomes as this:

Cannot process argument transformation on parameter 'SourceMailbox'. Cannot convert value
    "@{Guid=0435dc-7ss3-4exx-bs3a-457c0sssss3}" to type
    "Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.Tasks.MailboxLocationIdParameter". Error: "Cannot convert hashtable to an object of
    the following type: Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.Tasks.MailboxLocationIdParameter. Hashtable-to-Object conversion
    is not supported in restricted language mode or a Data section."
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (:) [New-MailboxRestoreRequest], ParameterBindin...mationException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentTransformationError,New-MailboxRestoreRequest
        + PSComputerName        : outlook.office365.com

Thank you!!

• Edited by Lavenie Friday, March 15, 2019 7:04 AM
    Friday, March 15, 2019 6:33 AM
  • Hi Lavenie,

When you run  (Get-MailboxLocation -Identity $NewMailboxName).GUID, whether you can any output.

Also, you need to check $NewMailboxName. Try to just run $NewMailboxName, to check the output.

$ResignedGUID = (Get-Mailbox -SoftDeletedMailbox -Identity $ResignedEmail).GUID 
    $ResignedMailboxName = (Get-Mailbox -SoftDeletedMailbox -Identity $ResignedEmail).DisplayName
    $ResingedMailboxAlias = (Get-Mailbox -SoftDeletedMailbox -Identity $ResignedEmail).Alias

If you use select, you will get an aduser object with GUID/displayname property. If you use the code as I posted, you will save a string object with GUID value to the variable.

Best regards,

Lee

Just do it.

Friday, March 15, 2019 7:09 AM
  • Hi Lee,

Thank you again!

I've tried few times these days, but I also got the same error:

Cannot process argument transformation on parameter 'SourceMailbox'. Cannot convert the
    "bb793a20-e334-48c9-b9ec-bbcd1f57677c" value of type "System.Guid" to type
    "Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.Tasks.MailboxLocationIdParameter".
        + PSComputerName        : outlook.office365.com

Here's my revised script:

function Restore {
    	$ResignedEmail = $ResignedInput.Text
        $ResignedStillExist = Get-Mailbox -Filter {UserPrincipalName -eq $ResignedEmail} -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
        if($ResignedStillExist -eq $null){
            $ResultOutput.Text = echo "Mailbox $ResignedEmail is not exist, can continue.`r`n"
    		$ResignedGUID = (Get-Mailbox -SoftDeletedMailbox -Identity $ResignedEmail).ExchangeGUID
    		$ResignedMailboxName = (Get-Mailbox -SoftDeletedMailbox -Identity $ResignedEmail).DisplayName 
    		$ResingedMailboxAlias = (Get-Mailbox -SoftDeletedMailbox -Identity $ResignedEmail).Alias
    		$NewMailboxAlias = $ResingedMailboxAlias -replace '\s','' #Remove the space in Alias
    		$NewMailboxName = $ResignedMailboxName + "_Restored"
    		$NewMailboxEmail = $ResignedInput.Text
    		New-Mailbox -Name $NewMailboxName -Alias $NewMailboxAlias -Shared -PrimarySmtpAddress $NewMailboxEmail
    			$ResultOutput.Text = echo "New Mailbox $NewMailboxEmail created.`r`nResigned Mailbox GUID is: $ResignedGUID. `r`nNew Mailbox GUID is: $NewMailboxGUID`r`nAlias is: $NewMailboxAlias`r`nName is: $NewMailboxName`r`nEmail is: $NewMailboxEmail. `r`n"
    							}
    					else {
    							New-MailboxRestoreRequest -SourceMailbox $ResignedGUID -TargetMailbox $NewMailboxGUID -AllowLegacyDNMismatch
    								$ResultOutput.Text += echo "Resigned Staff mailbox has been restored.`r`n"
    							$ForwardToEmail = $ForwardToInput.Text
    							Set-Mailbox $NewMailboxName -ForwardingAddress $ForwardToEmail -DeliverToMailboxAndForward $True
    								$ResultOutput.Text += echo "Email forwarding has been done."
    						}	
    						}
    	else {
    	$ResultOutput.Text = echo "$ResignedEmail is still exist, no actions taken. Please wait for the mailbox been removed.`r`n"	
    	}

I've tried ExchangeGUID, GUID, and MailboxGUID, still same result.

$ResignedGUID = (Get-Mailbox -SoftDeletedMailbox -Identity $ResignedEmail).ExchangeGUID $ResignedGUID = (Get-Mailbox -SoftDeletedMailbox -Identity $ResignedEmail).GUID

Do you still have any idea for the error? Thanks!!!

Wednesday, March 20, 2019 3:39 AM
  • Hi,

I'm sorry for the delay.

Please refer the link below:

https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/office-docs-powershell/issues/1763

Best regards,

Lee

Just do it.

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 1:32 PM