none
General Licensing Questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to determine if my company is licensed properly. Have a few questions.

1. This company is split between 2 locations the US and Ireland, but the network is one domain, and connected via vpn. Do we need treat each side separately in terms of licensing or can we treat it as one large entity.

2. There are 2 hyperv servers at each location. 4 total. I need core licenses to cover all the vms correct?

3. For each user and device that connects I need a device or user cal?

4. How should servers with SQL be treated.

Tuesday, September 15, 2020 5:37 PM

All replies

• I am trying to determine if my company is licensed properly. Have a few questions.

Which you should be asking Microsoft or your licensing partner. Whatever is written here is not worth the (digital) paper it's written on.

1. This company is split between 2 locations the US and Ireland, but the network is one domain, and connected via vpn. Do we need treat each side separately in terms of licensing or can we treat it as one large entity.

If it's one single company, or the IRL company is a subsidiary of the US one, or vice versa, or there is a common holding (which then should be the buying entity as far as licensing is concerned) you should be good with one Licensing Agreement for both sites. Again, ask Microsoft.

2. There are 2 hyperv servers at each location. 4 total. I need core licenses to cover all the vms correct?

Yes, and if you have more than, say, 4 Windows Server VMs per host, the Datacenter edition is going to be the less expensive option than multiple Standard licenses.

3. For each user and device that connects I need a device or user cal?

Yes, but ask Microsoft as to which devices actually need Device CALs provided that every user already got a User CAL.

4. How should servers with SQL be treated.

Now this is a subject you could fill entire books with. Read the licensing guide and try to understand it. In virtualised environment, you will most probably end up having to buy Software Assurance for SQL.

Evgenij Smirnov

http://evgenij.smirnov.de

Tuesday, September 15, 2020 8:10 PM
  • Hi,

Based on your description, your question is about Windows Server, please post your question on Microsoft Q&A forum, with tag windows-server, relate product supporter will provide you detail suggestion:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/topics/windows-server.html

Thank you for your understanding. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

"Windows Server General Forum" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A!

We invite you to post new questions in the "Windows Server General Forum"  forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A!

For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Thursday, October 1, 2020 6:03 AM