maintain user enterd text in area of the document embedded in an if statement? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm having trouble finding and answer to this question...

I have a Word 2007 document with embedded if statements that expand or hide different sections of the document based on book marked values a user enters at the beginning of the document.

The problem I'm having is that when the user tries to enters data under those sections later in the document, the information is not saved when the document is updated again because the sections are in embedded if statements. Is there a way to insert user fields within an if statement and prevent it from reverting back to whatever was initially entered into the if statement? For example,

{if { REF MemberShape }="HSS" "Punching Shear Stress = ________" if{ REF MemberShape ) = "W" "Web Crippling Stress = _________" "Not Applicable"}}

And I need the user to fill in the blanks.

This is a simple example, I have much more complicated tables and things that I need the end user to be able to edit, however do not want to show always depending on the criteria entered up front.

Hope you can help and hope I'm being clear...

Thanks,

Emily

UPDATE: Or maybe there is a way to 'flatten' the document to elimnate the if statements all together, leaving only the result?

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 2:27 PM

Answers

• What about the {FILLIN} field instead ______? Would this be an option? FORMTEXT doesn't work in the nested fields.

You can put {FORMTEXT} outside the IF field. The drawback is, that it is visible even in the "Not Applicable" case. You can play around with an update macro that hides the input field if you really want.

• Marked as answer by Nick Wan Thursday, August 18, 2011 2:22 AM
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 4:21 PM