Optimum Page File Setting RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I have a Laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium. I have 4gb RAM, i5 processor and 500gb harddisk. I have created 5 logical drive partitions from the 500gb root C:, including a one 15gb one which i want to use exclusively for page file.

I am not able to find the optimum page file setting which i should use. As i said I have created a 15gb logical drive exclusive for the paging file. I am planning to allocate 12gb fixed page file on this drive and planning to disable the paging file on all drives including the root C:

Please tell me if this setting is proper and optimum ; or whether i should allocate some page file on C: also instead of disabling it completely. Or whether i should split the page file among all the partitions.

I have found contradictory information online, some say system managed is the best option, others recommend using separate drive. I am confused. Please tell me the best configuration which will be applicable to me. Hark Disk space is not an issue, i am willing to allocate upto 30gb.

Also let me know if there is any harm with extra large page file.

Thanks,

Ankit

Thursday, October 21, 2010 8:57 PM

Answers

• Are you running 32-bit or 64-bit Windows? If you have 64-bit, you could add more RAM to take some of the burden off the pagefile since RAM access is faster than HDD access.

Either way, though, with the 4GB RAM, you're just as well off having Windows manage the pagefile, and leaving it on the root drive. Here's a little powershell program that will give you a snapshot of CPU and memory usage that you may find useful:

http://mintywhite.com/windows-7/7maintenance/monitor-cpu-memory-usage-click-windows-7/

There are probably as many schools of thought on this as there are on registry cleaners. Experiment a little- try different size pagefiles and see if there's any noticeable difference in performance. Keep notes and compare and you should be able to figure out the best combo for you. Other than when we were running NT, I have never seen any real advantage of manually fixing a size for the pagefile on any of our engineering PC's, and they were running CAD, CAM, Visual Basic, C (whichever versions), etc. with no performance problems on 32-bit Windows (2000, XP, or 7).

SC Tom
    -There's no such thing as TMI when asking for tech support.

• Marked as answer by ANKIT_DBZ Friday, October 22, 2010 9:19 PM
    Friday, October 22, 2010 11:06 AM

All replies

• Let Windows manage the size on leave it on drive C.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 9:53 PM
  • Thanks Andre,

I am a developer and i have a usually a lots of programs and services running on my machine (visual studio, sql, outlook, many other network related, etc), so it is important for me to optimize the performance, can you please clarify the following for me...

1. Instead of windows managed size, will it not be better if I allocate 12-15gb of fixed page file size on root C:, if yes please tell me the size i should use. Also please clarify whether there is any harm if the page file size is large.

2. Or will having a system managed page file (or fixed size) on C: along with another page file on another drive be better

Thank You

Friday, October 22, 2010 3:19 AM

• Are you running 32-bit or 64-bit Windows? If you have 64-bit, you could add more RAM to take some of the burden off the pagefile since RAM access is faster than HDD access.

Either way, though, with the 4GB RAM, you're just as well off having Windows manage the pagefile, and leaving it on the root drive. Here's a little powershell program that will give you a snapshot of CPU and memory usage that you may find useful:

http://mintywhite.com/windows-7/7maintenance/monitor-cpu-memory-usage-click-windows-7/

There are probably as many schools of thought on this as there are on registry cleaners. Experiment a little- try different size pagefiles and see if there's any noticeable difference in performance. Keep notes and compare and you should be able to figure out the best combo for you. Other than when we were running NT, I have never seen any real advantage of manually fixing a size for the pagefile on any of our engineering PC's, and they were running CAD, CAM, Visual Basic, C (whichever versions), etc. with no performance problems on 32-bit Windows (2000, XP, or 7).

SC Tom
    -There's no such thing as TMI when asking for tech support.

• Marked as answer by ANKIT_DBZ Friday, October 22, 2010 9:19 PM
    Friday, October 22, 2010 11:06 AM
  • I have also VS2008 and VS2010 running with database server. I let Windows manage it and everything is fine. You have 1 Drive, so drive C is always the fastest.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Friday, October 22, 2010 1:55 PM
  • I have 64 bit OS. As you rightly said there are many schools of thoughts on this, which has led to confusion. I think Microsoft should bring out an official MSDN page on this issue which can clarify the doubts and clear the confusion. It will help the advanced users and developers.

I will go with your advice and use system managed page file on C: and no page files on other drives.

Thanks

Friday, October 22, 2010 9:19 PM